M1 Macs and Big Sur

biometrics

So after spending way too much time on this the conclusion is you can not make a bootable clone of a M1 Mac with Big Sur. Meh.

biometrics

So seems my only option is to install Big Sur on an external Thunderbolt 3 SSD for experimentation and to use Timemachine to backup my apps and data. Not ideal, but a solution of sorts at least.

Going to get this once I get a $20 discount voucher I'm waiting for:

Basically an enclosure with a free SSD:

1614938537723.png

Johnatan56

So seems my only option is to install Big Sur on an external Thunderbolt 3 SSD for experimentation and to use Timemachine to backup my apps and data. Not ideal, but a solution of sorts at least.

Going to get this once I get a $20 discount voucher I'm waiting for:

Basically an enclosure with a free SSD:

View attachment 11517
Why not just get an enclosure and your own SSD in it?
I just bought this: https://www.takealot.com/baobab-m-2...for-2230-2242-2260-2/PLID54968728/description
And then throw in a 512GB SSD and yes, the enclosure is 10Gbps not 20Gbps, but I doubt you'll really notice the difference (3 vs 6 minutes full drive read, write will probably be the same for both).

biometrics

Johnatan56

Needs to be Thunderbolt 3. If you can find an enclosure locally let me know please.
Why does it need to be thunderbolt 3?

EDIT: Note T3 what you're looking for is USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, which is 20Gbps. That is backward compatible with Usb 3.2 Gen 2 which is named the same as Usb 3.1 Gen 2, both are just 10Gbps. The extra money isn't worth it as it's very rare that you have full sequential for the entire write if you're doing backup, so you most likely will not max it out.

Last edited:

biometrics

Why does it need to be thunderbolt 3?
Going to be used as a boot drive for a M1 Mac. People are having difficulty doing that with USB and many fail. Thunderbolt works. Also much faster. The OS and chipset is new and Apple favours Thunderbolt. Will likely be fixed eventually but that is the current situation. Both were only released in December.

Johnatan56

Going to be used as a boot drive for a M1 Mac. People are having difficulty doing that with USB and many fail. Thunderbolt works. Also much faster. The OS and chipset is new and Apple favours Thunderbolt. Will likely be fixed eventually but that is the current situation. Both were only released in December.
Oh, you want 40 Gbps, got it.

Paul Hjul

I am actually not entirely sure that that is entirely the case especially not long term. And definitely when talking about Thunderbolt 3 rather than Thunderbolt 4.

Basically I strongly expect on M1 it to quite strongly be a case of
TB4, USB4, USB3.2 better quality conformance stuff, USB 3 good quality stuff made with M1 device users as audience, TB3, whatever USB 3 stuff you pick up off wish.com.

The reason is because TB3 has quite a bit of roughness around the edges and USB4 is built on TB3. So from a simple getting polish right the focus of high end manufacturing is the TB4 certification.

biometrics

USB PD hubs will cause the Macbook M1 to die, works perfectly fine/within spec for all other laptops, so Apple issue.
Jump to 3:06, sorry, should have mentioned that in the post.
I wanted a range of ports and I didn't want something cheap that could cause issues so got this for R1,600.

Apparently the 11.2.2 update stops "non compliant" hubs from damaging a Mac.

1615194716307.png

Last edited: