LPW #5: Last Post Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnatan56

/waits on 250GB to be deleted from an old HDD.

First time I've touched a HDD in a few years now, wanting to back up my laptop for easy restore (all my stuff is saved to google drive and github so can get everything back within a day), but need to convert the external drive to NTFS (currently exFAT) to be able to use the W7 system image option.

Can then move the 100GB to my SSD, format the external and move back. What a mission.

~200GB to delete to go:
1597953918939.png
1597953944584.png
Might just throw it all onto one of the spare drives upstairs via network copy instead, don't think 1Gbps would be much of a bottleneck to an old, cheap HDD.

I want the days of cheap external SSD, but then I'd probably have lost all my data as this drive hasn't seen use since the end of 2017.

And yes, this drive was from the MyBB competition, back before I started calling out rpm about stuff.

Johnatan56

Oh right. I've been around too long to use any proprietary backup app. Either a file copy (local or cloud) or drive image.
Yeah, just wanted a click a button and forget about it solution. Copy paste doesn't always work nicely, but usually I don't use the entire back-up anyways.
What's on the drive is copy-paste of all the stuff from 2/3 machines with me clearing out. I'm down to 150GB, think I can maybe get to 140GB and the rest of that is important (though all of it is copied on another two drives as well, so don't really care if I delete more than intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.