Load Shedding to continue 16.07.20

Seldom Bucket

Power utility Eskom has warned that it may implement load shedding on Thursday evening.

The utility urged the public to reduce electricity usage, saying the power generation system is severely constrained.

Eskom has not instituted nationwide load shedding since the start of the lockdown in late March after power usage plunged as much of the economy was shut down. But it has been cutting power to localised areas in what it calls load reduction.

In a power update on Thursday morning, Eskom said that a generation unit at its Tutuka power station in Mpumalanga tripped, while another one was taken off the grid, as well as another unit at Lethabo power station in the Free State.

Seldom Bucket

Stage 2 load shedding will be implemented from 12:00 on Friday due to an increase in generation unit breakdowns that led to a loss of capacity exceeding 3 000 MW, Eskom said in a statement.

This will continue until 22:00, with pressure on the grid expected to last over the weekend.

"While five generation units were taken off the grid last night and this morning, a breakdown at the Matimba power station has today resulted in the need for load shedding," Eskom said.

Two units at Arnot, as well as a unit each at Kendal, Tutuka and Majuba were taken off the grid last night and this morning, adding up to the loss of 3 000 MW.

There was also a delay in the return to service of a unit at Duvha.

Eskom has managed to avoid load shedding thus far during the lockdown, although Gauteng has faced bouts of localised rolling blackouts known as "load rotation", which Eskom has attributed to a prevalence of vandalism and illegal connections.

biometrics

My power was out nearly six hours yesterday due to a pole that fell over in the wind. Luckily I miss it the rest of today.

Tribs

We had loadshedding last night from 9pm to 10pm. It came on as it was supposed to. 90 minutes later it went again. Only just came back on. 10 hours with no power. Sux.

koeks525

It is interesting how City of Cape Town is able to mitigate or lower the levels of load shedding; does the city have its own independent source of electricity to supplement the Eskom electricity?

Seldom Bucket

No respite for SA as power cuts set to continue on Thursday
JOHANNESBURG - South Africans will have to put up with another day of loadshedding.
Eskom said that stage one blackouts would kick in at 9am and would then be ramped up to stage two at 2pm.
The power cuts are again expected to last until 10pm tonight.
The utility said that the cold weather had increased demand for electricity.

Its aging infrastructure has not been able to cope with the recent demand.
However, Eskom said that some of its generation units had been replenished and were now back online.
Spokesperson Sikonathi Mantshantsha: "We also have our own broken equipment generation units that are contributing to this supply constraint, however, Eskom teams are working to restore units at Medupi, Tutuka, Kusile and at Kendal power stations."

Tribs

Great - we have Stage 1 loadshedding from 11-13:30. I have an online meeting from 10-11:30
This is going to be interesting, the last time our cell towers went down too

Lupus

Dammit, I haven't had loadshedding once during working hours.
I did last week Friday, but this week I've got the two horrible shifts, yesterdays 8 till 10pm and tomorrow is 4 to 8.30pm :-( I hate those.