I am a Freelance Android and iOS Developer

biometrics

It's insane how many freelance app development inquiries I get lately, must have had 15 the past ten days and 10 the two weeks before. Before that a few a week for the previous month. Most are duds though for various reasons, but still, did the world just wake up and realise they need an app? Or are people desperate for ideas to make money or is the economy just picking up again?

Looks like I picked up a decent one this week finally after three months, though it took a month+ to get my Google ad just right (keyword, scope, location etc), so effectively a two month wait.

Due to my advertising budget I'm only running the ad in SA, it doesn't work if you spread a limited budget to all English speaking countries.

Last edited:

Bryn

It's insane how many freelance app development inquiries I get lately, must have had 15 the past ten days and 10 the two weeks before. Before that a few a week for the previous month. Most are duds though for various reasons, but still, did the world just wake up and realise they need an app? Or are people desperate for ideas to make money or is the economy just picking up again?

Looks like I picked up a decent one this week finally after three months, though it took a month+ to get my Google ad just right (keyword, scope, location etc), so effectively a two month wait.

Due to my advertising budget I'm only running the ad in SA, it doesn't work if you spread a limited budget to all English speaking countries.
If you're a generally capable dev and are not particularly confined to the mobile app space (and obviously only if you feel that you're not earning at your full potential), consider getting into Ecommerce web development. The demand is ridiculous for custom online stores.

I'm currently customising and optimising the hell out of WooCommerce, because I only do WordPress sites for my partners, but I constantly encounter the demand for enterprise-level solutions. Everyone hates Magento, Shopify, CS-Cart and whatnot. Literally every major retailer I've crossed paths with. I've been hoping to find time to play around with Saleor and React, and also Statamic and Vue, but I don't see myself having a moment of free time for a while. This might be up your alley though, or something you could transition to. And your app skills would tie into it if you're bundling companion mobile apps.

biometrics

If you're a generally capable dev and are not particularly confined to the mobile app space (and obviously only if you feel that you're not earning at your full potential), consider getting into Ecommerce web development. The demand is ridiculous for custom online stores.

I'm currently customising and optimising the hell out of WooCommerce, because I only do WordPress sites for my partners, but I constantly encounter the demand for enterprise-level solutions. Everyone hates Magento, Shopify, CS-Cart and whatnot. Literally every major retailer I've crossed paths with. I've been hoping to find time to play around with Saleor and React, and also Statamic and Vue, but I don't see myself having a moment of free time for a while. This might be up your alley though, or something you could transition to. And your app skills would tie into it if you're bundling companion mobile apps.
I’m a partner in a software company, my full time job. Being single with no children I have lots of free time. So rather than waste time watching TV and playing games I’d rather be intellectually stimulated and make extra money. The most practical being apps as they are limited in how much time it takes. I can’t commit to long term projects (though I offer a support retainer when it’s done). In the 90’s and 2000’s it used to be mostly Windows desktop software but the past ten years it’s been PHP and mobile apps. So apps is a good fit for my freelance work. Some apps require a backend and/or website so PHP is perfect for that. Note the relatively generous hourly rate, what I do though is work out the hourly project cost and then offer a fixed project cost. That incentivises me to do it quicker and effectively up the rate.

PS, been coding professionally for 31 years so I hope I’m “generally capable”. ;)

Anyway my previous post was more an observation of the state of the economy I guess. It’s amazing how many inquiries I get lately, most I can’t use. Examples:

- I have an idea for an app. If you develop it for free I’ll give you the idea in exchange for a cut.
- We’re a startup and offer equity if you develop for free plus some cash.
- I want an app like Uber or Tinder, how much will it cost?
- I need help for my child’s university assignment.
- I need a pyramid scheme platform.
- What?! That’s way too expensive!
- Huh, what do you mean “specification”?
- Thanks, will get back to you.
And many other examples. Seems a lot of people are looking for ideas to make money and then get a lightbulb moment, “apps”!

Finally got a decent one this week. So I’ll be good for the next month while I reply to the duds and find the next one to queue for the pipeline. Two weeks ago I had one I really wanted that involved using OpenCV to do image processing (which I really enjoy doing) but they haven’t gotten back to me yet, may still.

I’m using Google Ads and Gumtree, so that tends to attract all sorts. Not sure where else or alternatively to advertise.

Bryn

I’m a partner in a software company, my full time job. Being single with no children I have lots of free time. So rather than waste time watching TV and playing games I’d rather be intellectually stimulated and make extra money. The most practical being apps as they are limited in how much time it takes. I can’t commit to long term projects (though I offer a support retainer when it’s done). In the 90’s and 2000’s it used to be mostly Windows desktop software but the past ten years it’s been PHP and mobile apps. So apps is a good fit for my freelance work. Some apps require a backend and/or website so PHP is perfect for that. Note the relatively generous hourly rate, what I do though is work out the hourly project cost and then offer a fixed project cost. That incentivises me to do it quicker and effectively up the rate.

PS, been coding professionally for 31 years so I hope I’m “generally capable”. ;)

Anyway my previous post was more an observation of the state of the economy I guess. It’s amazing how many inquiries I get lately, most I can’t use. Examples:

- I have an idea for an app. If you develop it for free I’ll give you the idea in exchange for a cut.
And many other examples. Seems a lot of people are looking for ideas to make money and then get a lightbulb moment, “apps”!

Finally got a decent one this week. So I’ll be good for the next month while I reply to the duds and find the next one to queue for the pipeline. Two weeks ago I had one I really wanted that involved using OpenCV to do image processing (which I really enjoy doing) but they haven’t gotten back to me yet, may still.

I’m using Google Ads and Gumtree, so that tends to attract all sorts. Not sure where else or alternatively to advertise.
Ha! By 'generally' capable I was just referring to more broadly interested vs. unapologetically focused on mobile apps with Java and Swift.

I've received all the same crazy inquiries insofar as they could be relevant to web development. My most common is whether my starting rates for brochure and Ecommerce sites will be sufficient for some wildly complex set of requirements. The word 'starting' has been a thorn in my side my whole career, and I still need to work out the best way to manage expectations in that regard.

I had a pyramid scheme prospective client earlier this year lol. He actually had a stack of different projects, which randomly shuffled around as to which we would start with, and somehow they all introduced pyramid scheme elements to them sooner or later.

I wonder what Codehesion pays MyBB for their featured posts. The return on investment must be substantial if you can pony up for those ads.

biometrics

Lol, I forgot about the teenager that wanted me to remove the parental control on his phone. Sent him to mybb. ;)

biometrics

Two weeks ago I had one I really wanted that involved using OpenCV to do image processing (which I really enjoy doing) but they haven’t gotten back to me yet, may still.
The engineer just emailed me to say it's still with management. So it's not dead. Hope I get this one, really enjoy this type of work.

Tribs

@biometrics a few people I know are interested in doing the whole Google ads thing but are finding it very complex. If you make a thread about it I could send more people this way.

biometrics

@biometrics a few people I know are interested in doing the whole Google ads thing but are finding it very complex. If you make a thread about it I could send more people this way.
Honestly the Google Ads system is super kak. It took me a month to get the ad to work for me.

Tribs

Honestly the Google Ads system is super kak. It took me a month to get the ad to work for me.
So you could help others. They realise it is better than FB but a lot more complicated
Just a thought to attract a few more people

Johnatan56

So you could help others. They realise it is better than FB but a lot more complicated
Just a thought to attract a few more people
Would disagree, depending on target market, e.g. small business, FB adds are better, easier to target.
Google Adds are better for large businesses imho.

biometrics

I have people who want to place ads on Google but don't currently use forums. I would send them here for the information. They may even stay
Start the thread, I’ll contribute what I know.

Y2K