How NASA plans to find alien life in the next decade

Seldom Bucket

Seldom Bucket

Okay, looking for life...
Surface of Mars is not the best place to look, the Martian atmosphere is too weak, and the Martian core is solid, so it can't create any magnetic field to deflect solar radiation like on earth.
If we are looking for life on Mars the best place to look would be underground, or the volcanic calderas left by volcanic activity, the soil and rock above would block enough radiation for life to survive.

But on that we also need to think about extremophiles, organisms that can survive any environment, outer space, 30 km underground, in the acid waters of Yellowstone park, etc.

Other inter solar places where there is a great chance of life would be the moon of Saturn, Enceladus, the surface shows that it renews it's self, meaning a hot core and geological forces, under all that ice is an ocean. Caused by the forces of gravity between its host planet and fellow moons. Enceladus should be dead because of its small size and distance from the sun.
Taking in confederation the geological forces active on Enceladus, that means there would be underwater geological forces like we have here on earth in the Marianas trench, and amazingly we found life living of the minerals coming out of the earth, no sunlight, just heat.

We once thought that if there is water there will be life, but our idea of that has changed. There are so many ways life can be. If we limit our ideas and thought to only one way, we will miss a lot.
This goes with any alien signals we might get. We need to think about it differently and out of the box.

Johnatan56

Okay, looking for life...
Surface of Mars is not the best place to look, the Martian atmosphere is too weak, and the Martian core is solid, so it can't create any magnetic field to deflect solar radiation like on earth.
If we are looking for life on Mars the best place to look would be underground, or the volcanic calderas left by volcanic activity, the soil and rock above would block enough radiation for life to survive.

But on that we also need to think about extremophiles, organisms that can survive any environment, outer space, 30 km underground, in the acid waters of Yellowstone park, etc.

Other inter solar places where there is a great chance of life would be the moon of Saturn, Enceladus, the surface shows that it renews it's self, meaning a hot core and geological forces, under all that ice is an ocean. Caused by the forces of gravity between its host planet and fellow moons. Enceladus should be dead because of its small size and distance from the sun.
Taking in confederation the geological forces active on Enceladus, that means there would be underwater geological forces like we have here on earth in the Marianas trench, and amazingly we found life living of the minerals coming out of the earth, no sunlight, just heat.

We once thought that if there is water there will be life, but our idea of that has changed. There are so many ways life can be. If we limit our ideas and thought to only one way, we will miss a lot.
This goes with any alien signals we might get. We need to think about it differently and out of the box.
I think it's more a case of NASA starting with what they can more easily test and then moving to the next thing. And just testing one thing doesn't mean others are excluded.

Seldom Bucket

I think it's more a case of NASA starting with what they can more easily test and then moving to the next thing. And just testing one thing doesn't mean others are excluded.
Well at one stage we thought for alien life there has to be sunlight from a local star and water. We have found out since that this was wrong as e.g the extremophile found deep underground in the gold mines of JHB

JacobCooper45

Perhaps only Voyager will help NASA find any traces of life because it's the only spacecraft that managed to leave the Solar System. I don't think there are any civilizations in our galaxy, but I can't be sure about others.

Lara

Perhaps only Voyager will help NASA find any traces of life because it's the only spacecraft that managed to leave the Solar System. I don't think there are any civilizations in our galaxy, but I can't be sure about others.
The Milky Way is an exceptionally large place to hide a civilization. ;)

Seldom Bucket

There would be, like @Lara said, Voyager also do not really have the sensors or tech for it, and again, Voyager has not left our solar system.

Are you familiar with the Drake Equation?

drake_equation.svg

N
= number of civilizations with which humans could communicate
R_*
= mean rate of star formation
f_P
= fraction of stars that have planets
n_e
= mean number of planets that could support life per star with planets
f_l
= fraction of life-supporting planets that develop life
f_i
= fraction of planets with life where life develops intelligence
f_c
= fraction of intelligent civilizations that develop communication
L
= mean length of time that civilizations can communicate

JacobCooper45

There would be, like @Lara said, Voyager also do not really have the sensors or tech for it, and again, Voyager has not left our solar system.

drake_equation.svg

N
=number of civilizations with which humans could communicate
R_*
=mean rate of star formation
f_P
=fraction of stars that have planets
n_e
=mean number of planets that could support life per star with planets
f_l
=fraction of life-supporting planets that develop life
f_i
=fraction of planets with life where life develops intelligence
f_c
=fraction of intelligent civilizations that develop communication
L
=mean length of time that civilizations can communicate
No, I haven't; please, explain to me how it is supposed to help us find alien civilizations? We probably can't specify each component because we don't know the exact number of planets that can support life. Or I understand something the wrong way?

Lara

No, I haven't; please, explain to me how it is supposed to help us find alien civilizations? We probably can't specify each component because we don't know the exact number of planets that can support life. Or I understand something the wrong way?
The formula isn't there to find intelligence but to prove that it exists. :)

Nicholas

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Nicholas

drake_equation.svg

N
=number of civilizations with which humans could communicate
R_*
=mean rate of star formation
f_P
=fraction of stars that have planets
n_e
=mean number of planets that could support life per star with planets
f_l
=fraction of life-supporting planets that develop life
f_i
=fraction of planets with life where life develops intelligence
f_c
=fraction of intelligent civilizations that develop communication
L
=mean length of time that civilizations can communicate
fraction of advanced life forms that would rather keep to themselves?

Seldom Bucket

That's the thing, it changes as our understanding of life changes, the Drake Equation works on intelligent life, it does not include life, lets say e.g. earth 10 million years ago

R

[)roi(]

If I was an alien (tongue in cheek); I'd conclude that an overwhelming majority of earthlings are "woke" morons, hot on the path to guarantee humanity's demise -- I simply have to prepare some popcorn and enjoy the humorous spectacle.

Reactions: OCP
R

[)roi(]

Oumuamua... only look a planet infested with insane two legged cockroaches... accelerate..