Home Improvements

Rudolph Hart

I paid the deposit for the new verandah today, they’ll start on Tuesday.

It’s 4x6m with provision for adding ceiling boards later, also just going for the concrete floor, and planning on adding tiles later. He’s going to use some old sneezewood fence posts to support the roof, and they’ll sit on plinths that will extend a little to allow them to be sat on or used to put coffee cups on or whatever.

I was brought up with the attitude that you never pay someone to do work, you just do it yourself, and it’s quite a stretch for me to be paying people for building work, but I’m slowly getting g used to the idea. In particular I love the very fast progress to spare to slogging away over many weekends doing work I’m not that familiar with and fixing my mistakes along the way.

I’m still holding back a bit as can be seen by the idea of doing the ceiling and tiling later, but really looking forward to having a space we can sit outside while still keeping out the sun and rain.

They’ll be starting on the bathroom sometime in May.

Rudolph Hart

For more detail on the bathroom, we’re going to strip out the en suite bathroom and turn it into a scullery/laundry/pantry by bricking up the doorway to the bedroom and breaking through from the kitchen. We then sacrifice 2m off the end of the bedroom for a new bathroom. There’s no shower in the old bathroom, and neither of us uses a bath much, so it needed redoing anyway and this way we sort out the slightly cramped kitchen (which we use a lot) in exchange for a smaller main bedroom (which we only use for sleeping in). I’ve had some really massive bedrooms over the years, and all that the increased space gave me was more clutter, so a smaller main bedroom doesn’t bother us.