Home Brewing

Snyper564

Has anybody tried to make a kvass beer?
Last night I made a large ciabatta style bread that I scored heavily because I wanted a large very flattened surface to maximise the amount of brown caramelised crust, because a few recipes state that the flavour profile is improved if you have more caramelised crust (alternatively some recommend toasting the bread)

View attachment 1096
The blackened (burnt areas) are intentional i.e. for natural tannins; trying to make a palatable & slightly bitter beer without the need to buy hops, or add orange peel, etc.

Next Steps
Now it's just a case of waiting for it to go a little stale, so that I can attempt to make my first kvass style beer except that I'v chosen to use wheat flour instead of the more traditional rye bread (...because I prefer wheat beers).

Traditionally kvass was a low alcohol style (0.5% to 1% ABV) beer that people used to drink instead of water; because the beer was safer to drink than the water of the day. I want something with more of a kick; so I'm going to push up the alcohol content to target a 4.5% ABV, by increasing the starting sugar gravity to 1.050 using a combination of white cane sugar and pot caramelised cane sugar (dark brown) to intensify caramel favours.

Youtube videos on kvass
Interesting I bake loads of bread and sourdough (years before the lockdown craze) let us know how it goes

R

[)roi(]

Interesting I bake loads of bread and sourdough (years before the lockdown craze) let us know how it goes
Will do; appears very simple relative to brewing from malt grains.

The next one I'll try after this will be the chicha corn beer, by malting a bag of popcorn kernels.

acidrain

Just watched a video on making a basic sweet hard cider - Remembering back to when I tried and basically ended up with paint stripper.

One method if you want your cider slightly sweet is when you bottling, fill one coke bottle as the test. During the carbonation, feel the coke bottle. When it feels like a fresh bottle of coke, the level of carbonation is pretty much good and you can place your bottles in heated water to pasteurize and kill the yeast.

Snyper564

Will do; appears very simple relative to brewing from malt grains.

Just watched a video on making a basic sweet hard cider - Remembering back to when I tried and basically ended up with paint stripper.

One method if you want your cider slightly sweet is when you bottling, fill one coke bottle as the test. During the carbonation, feel the coke bottle. When it feels like a fresh bottle of coke, the level of carbonation is pretty much good and you can place your bottles in heated water to pasteurize and kill the yeast.

exactly what I did mine tasted amazing bottle 3 days ago pasturizing today or tomorrow (fridge space is the reason for this :) )

R

[)roi(]

Can one buy normal ginger beer, moer yeast in, wait a few days and have an alcohol ginger beer?
If you asking about stoney, then no. The preservatives will prevent fermentation; same applies to Coca, Cola, etc.
For an easy cider; buy some fruit juice (without preservatives) and throw in yeast. https://thegrotto.co.za/forum/threads/home-brewing.156/post-6849

Alternatively have a look a kvass; made from bread, etc. https://thegrotto.co.za/forum/goto/post?id=7462

Snyper564

If you asking about stoney, then no. The preservatives will prevent fermentation; same applies to Coca, Cola, etc.
For an easy cider; buy some fruit juice (without preservatives) and throw in yeast. https://thegrotto.co.za/forum/threads/home-brewing.156/post-6849

Alternatively have a look a kvass; made from bread, etc. https://thegrotto.co.za/forum/goto/post?id=7462
I thought the same look at this video on Ginger coke - mine went crazy within 1 hour and its day 3 and its fizzing non stop

R

[)roi(]

I thought the same look at this video on Ginger coke - mine went crazy within 1 hour and its day 3 and its fizzing non stop

Mixed reports... Here he tried Coca Cola, Fanta and Mountain Dew... the only 1 that worked according to him was Fanta; but then in the comments there is a suggestion that by heating the soft drink on a medium heat (but not boiling) will remove the preservatives and allow fermentation to occur normally once it has cooled down.

biometrics

So my 20L apple beer is definately developing a bit of an alcohol smell so I guess it's working. I'll bottle into 4 x 5L plastic bottles.

I only have space for two in the fridge. So if I pasteurise it will stop the yeast and I can store in outside the fridge? So how do I pastuerise, can i put them in the bath with warm water?

satanboy

So my 20L apple beer is definately developing a bit of an alcohol smell so I guess it's working. I'll bottle into 4 x 5L plastic bottles.

I only have space for two in the fridge. So if I pasteurise it will stop the yeast and I can store in outside the fridge? So how do I pastuerise, can i put them in the bath with warm water?
Don't you mean ice cold or boiling water?