Home Brewing

R

[)roi(]

Hi Dudes

Well about 4kgs of apples a kg of sugar 1 brewers yeast. A week later and apple cider.
Had a glass and its far stronger than beer.
Cheers dudes. Happy days.
Falls off the chair.
Bejasus this is strong.
Look into back sweetening your ciders. What typically makes ciders taste really potent is the lack of sugars; the fermentation with apples is very active and generally results in very low final sugar gravities; < 1.000

To much exposure to air at any time during the fermentation / bottling -- can quickly sour a cider into vinegar.

GreGorGy

Not sure yet

Ditto. My plans for last weekend were interrupted by not giving a shit. But I have to brew this weekend. I have about 3 weeks of commercial beer on hand and thereafter I need to be self-sufficient, with brews having had enough time to fully mature. I have the stout and the pilsner maturing but they won't last too long. My plan is to hedge my bets on the last coopers can I have (at least that is a guarantee) and then to try the boddingtons as well as another weaker stout this weekend. I wanna crush grain Friday so that Saturday I can jump straight into it. That means I need to make up my mind about the syrup by Saturday morning. It is a lot of work I have planned for myself so not having to make invert sugar myself will free up time for other activities like sleep.

GreGorGy

Yeast washing in progress - lets see how this goes :) thats R100 worth of yeast to harvest :)

Shit - good luck let us know how it goes. While govt may have retracted their tweet, their behavior thus far has been remarkably dishonest - I think they spoke the truth, bit didn't want people knowing it - they withdrew it only to keep up a facade.

And that means yeast harvesting and grain rationing may be important.

Snyper564

Shit - good luck let us know how it goes. While govt may have retracted their tweet, their behavior thus far has been remarkably dishonest - I think they spoke the truth, bit didn't want people knowing it - they withdrew it only to keep up a facade.

And that means yeast harvesting and grain rationing may be important.
I'm prepared I have enough grain for 200l and 7 strains of yeast

I also saw this coming. I have 70 odd bottles of wine. 4 port. 8 whisky. 8 gin think I'll be fine for about 2 years

GreGorGy

I'm prepared I have enough grain for 200l and 7 strains of yeast

I have around 130L worth of grain and a coopers tin. But I don't see this lockdown ending any time soon. 130L and the yeast I have, together with beer on hand, will buy me up to the end of October. That means my daughter's birthday and mine are covered. We will have to ration to make the son's as he is early November - so that means a hard week in October or September to ensure we make everyone's birthday at least a minor party. Priorities...