Grotto Movie Reviews

biometrics

A documentary that watches more like a movie.

7/10

Spizz

I watched Moonfall last night. Probably the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I was so tempted to give up so many times but it was so bad I had to keep watching to see if it got worse. It did.

I suppose I should have checked the reviews first, but fuck me, what a turkey. 0/10

SlinkyMike

View attachment 33017

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)

Utter garbage. A simple message is presented to adults as if they are 6-year-olds. Stupid. A yawn fest. Dumb. 3/10

Thank you for your service. :)
Counterpoint: I LOVED this film but it turns out my analysis was pretty far from what the creators intended.

I had heard tons of hype, and, knowing that nothing ever really lives up to the hype I decided to go in blind. Avoided anything online and made sure my wife was up for watching it within the next couple of days. So I knew literally nothing, no trailer, no reviews, didn't even know it was by the same guys who did Swiss Army Man until after I'd seen it.

I have since read interviews and reviews and articles which have indicated that the themes are immigrant realities (jumping from one life to the other and back again) as well as social media saturation (constant flickering of various social identities) which all makes perfect sense.

My initial analysis prior to reading the official notes was frankly much better and I'm sticking to it.

Here it is, spoilers ahead.

EEAaO is the story of saving a loved one from depression.

The Donut is Joy's looming suicide.

The multiverse as allegory for nihilism works great. If an infinite number of universes exist in which all things are happening simultaneously then clearly existence is meaningless.

This brings us to the paradox of Nihilism and the realisation of Existentialism: if nothing has meaning or even exists then within that is a wonderful and truly magnificent amount of freedom! You are free to do whatever you want to do, meaning is yours to create, it is't prescribed by Sky Daddy or a deterministic universe of any kind. It is yours, ours, it belongs to everyone! Go out and do creative things with people you love!

I'd like to reference another film that explores some of these topics 'Waking Life', an excellent watch. It contains a series of vignettes that are moderately dialogue/monologue heavy, here is the one want to refer to:

...so if meaning is ours to create within a chaotic universe where existence is meaningless there are some pitfalls to avoid, a donut if you will, and this is it:

You will lose your mid trying to control things that cannot be controlled.
You will lose your mind of you refuse to create your own meaning.
You will lose your mind if you are not willing to be nothing, clinging to a self will destroy you.

The message then is one of release, of learning to love with open hands, and ultimately of avoiding annihilation by surrendering yourself to it.

8/10

biometrics

I watched Moonfall last night. Probably the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I was so tempted to give up so many times but it was so bad I had to keep watching to see if it got worse. It did.

I suppose I should have checked the reviews first, but fuck me, what a turkey. 0/10
I watched it. Can't remember if I finished it. Can't remember anything about it. I scrolled back and I see I didn't even bother reviewing it.

SlinkyMike

I watched it. Can't remember if I finished it. Can't remember anything about it. I scrolled back and I see I didn't even bother reviewing it.
My guys, I just watched the trailer and it has everything an utterly shit film would have in the trailer.

SFX of near slapstick proportions, little known and has been actors, the 'mommy's coming home' trope and what seems to be a hybrid of the natural disaster/Cloverfield monster genres. Pick a lane Halle Berry and Patrick something!

I'm trying to find it in my heart to feel bad for you wasting your time but I'm coming up empty lads. :ROFLMAO:

biometrics

My guys, I just watched the trailer and it has everything an utterly shit film would have in the trailer.

SFX of near slapstick proportions, little known and has been actors, the 'mommy's coming home' trope and what seems to be a hybrid of the natural disaster/Cloverfield monster genres. Pick a lane Halle Berry and Patrick something!

I'm trying to find it in my heart to feel bad for you wasting your time but I'm coming up empty lads. :ROFLMAO:
There hasn't been much to watch the past two years, so... it was scifi so worth a shot. Doubt I finished it, I easily turn off kak, I never feel obliged to watch to the end.

Spizz

It was a short trailer that made me think I want to watch it because I love a disaster movie of this type. Especially the SFX. I don’t mind not thinking for a couple of hours and going with the flow, but this one had no build up and went straight into absurdity.

But all good. Living in hotel rooms at the moment and it’s raining a lot outside :)

spiderz

Interceptor.2022.MULTi.1080p

In french, so had sub titles on, a Very good movie on a bottle of wine.
8/10

satanboy

1655572477713.png

Royals' Revenge (2020)

The worst props I have ever seen in a western. Modern cigarettes, pipe, skin-tight jeans on a woman and whitened teeth only to mention a few. Good cinematography until action scenes where the camera person could hardly keep a face in view. Pathetic story. 3/10

satanboy

1655572721552.png

The Harder They Fall (2021)

A movie with great acting, pleasing story and the film techniques were on point. There were scenes from the Tarintino book of filmmaking, stupid singing, and reggae music (in a western?) that were a bit offputting. New things were attempted in this movie, and some failed. Good entertainment otherwise. 6/10

Jings

Not one of the best sci-fi flicks but entertaining nevertheless.

7/10