Dstv PVR hard disk

tape

I need someone with some dr google skills. Their is a certain way to format a hard drive to work in a pvr. It is not a normal 2 partition format. I have been Google'ing , got to a sharefile system but file is long gone. I no it is a old machine, but soon dstv is bringing out a new explora, then only will I buy it.

Papa Smurf

cant be that difficult
did you google?
you also didnt mention the exact model number, this will help when typing into google
i dont own a dstv decoder, sorry
1594820645994.png

tape

I got that page. It does not work. But someone share a pdf that I am after. But thank you for your effort.

Geoff.D

Which decoder model are you referring to? And why can't you use the formal way to format the HDD?
And have you opened the decoder and know what make, type and size the HDD is?

tape

Which decoder model are you referring to? And why can't you use the formal way to format the HDD?
a dstv decoder hard disk got 2 partitions. one of these partitions looks at the sim card for permission to show files. eg, eg you are not subscribe anymore, you cannot watch recordings. The pvr showed a faulty hard drive, I remove a explora hard drive and insert it into the pvr, but still no luck. Somewhere there is a pdf, how to format / setup the hard drive. I am looking for that pdf.

Geoff.D

Those two so-called cures for PVR issues refers to the original SD PVR ( View 2 record 1). None of those solutions will work on Explora PVRs or even the 4- tuner or the 2P decoders.

So, you still need to answer my questions before we can go anywhere with this query.

BloodrayneZA

I need someone with some dr google skills. Their is a certain way to format a hard drive to work in a pvr. It is not a normal 2 partition format. I have been Google'ing , got to a sharefile system but file is long gone. I no it is a old machine, but soon dstv is bringing out a new explora, then only will I buy it.
Like everyone else said - more details will help us to help you.

tape

HD PVR (2 Tuner)
hdd = hitachi 500 gb sata.

sand_man

My pvr hardrive is tanking hard. Need to research this a bit further or alternatively return said decoder to MultiChoice. Latter option might be the only plausible option.

@satanboy Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Geoff.D

My pvr hardrive is tanking hard. Need to research this a bit further or alternatively return said decoder to MultiChoice. Latter option might be the only plausible option.

@satanboy Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
Depending on the model, that could mean a death sentence for the decoder. MC hardly ever repair the older decoders anymore.

sand_man

Depending on the model, that could mean a death sentence for the decoder. MC hardly ever repair the older decoders anymore.

Yip, I took my 4 tuner to a service Centre in Edenvale area. Dude reckons best he can do is sell me the explora 3a for R1k. Then asks if I have smart lnb. I’m 99% sure I do but it’s also an extra view setup with a 2p decoder as secondary. The explora has satellite in and nothing else. So I require some or other adapter to establish and connect the heartbeat cable between the explora and the 2p. He’s not sure and I’m not sure how or if it will work and they don’t do refunds so I did not proceed. My 4tuner is basically stuck in a boot loop but the 2p connected to the set in the ma8n bedroom is running fine.

I tried to insurer both decoders about 2 years ago but Multichoice wouldn’t insure the 4tuner. Too old I guess.

sand_man

The head techie at the branch, Goodman I think they said his name is, was on lunch. He was apparently the guy that could explain the solution.

Düber

I feel for you, those old decoders IMO were better than these new explora's.
My dad also got "caught" with the free explora deal ( a few years ago) when his decoder packed up and it was just one thing after another to get everything going again. The only original bit is the actual dish itself.

sand_man

Not sure hey. The 4 tuner has given me a fair amount of kuk. I think installation is a key factor in how the system performs long term.

But I had a look at the explora at the service Centre and it looked really cheap!!

Düber

Yes they are not expensive at all especially when you consider the cost of the HDD inside.

I do all the installs myself so that it is right the first time and it does seem to make a difference. I just find the explora's menu is not intuitive and the whole thing is laggy and slow, aside from that it does work.
Perhaps the new ones are better?