Donald Trump extends Huawei ban to 2021, adds extra restrictions

Dave

President Donald Trump has extended his executive order banning US companies from working with or buying telecommunications equipment from companies deemed a national security risk until May 2021, via Reuters.

While the ban doesn’t explicitly call out specific companies, it’s been used to virtually shut down US operations with Chinese companies like Huawei and ZTE, which can no longer sell products in the US or work with companies like Google or ARM for critical software and licenses.

The White House issued its original executive order almost a year ago, barring US companies from doing business with Huawei due to national security concerns about the Chinese firm supplying equipment for network infrastructure (particularly as the US undergoes its ongoing rollout for 5G).

That's Huawei screwed up for another year at the minimum...

Textile Guy

Fucking presumptuous ..... assuming elections in the US are coming up.

Dave

The USA is taking even more severe measures against Huawei. What will they do now they can't even access chips from Chinese manufacturers?

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration issued new rules Friday that will bar Huawei and its suppliers from using American technology and software, a significant escalation in its battle with the Chinese telecom giant and one that will likely inflame tensions with Beijing.

The rule changes will prevent companies from selling chips to Huawei that are made with American manufacturing equipment, or based on designs that are the product of American software and technology, the Commerce Department said. Companies can apply for a license to continue supplying products to Huawei, but the administration said the presumption will be to deny those requests.

After that rule was imposed, Huawei took steps to reduce its reliance on American chip manufacturers like Qualcomm, and ramp up its in-house production through a chip unit, HiSilicon.

But HiSilicon still relies on outside manufacturers, including Shanghai-based Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation, or S.M.I.C., and Taiwanese chip maker T.S.M.C. to mass-produce chips to its specifications. And many of those operations rely to some extent on technology that was developed and refined in the United States, where the semiconductor industry began.

Tsepz_GP

This is going to get very interesting, I feel as though the USA are shouting themselves in the foot in the long run as the Chinese will start zoning in on being more self reliant, they have the resources and instead of buying US made tech they will buy within China and develop at their own pace, which could be more rapid, looking at how Huawei got ahead on 5G versus competitors.

I just don’t see this ending well for the USA consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk