Developer Tools for macOS

biometrics

OK - a lot of stuff is built-in with the OS. No need for Vera for example. Also Commander might be overkill.
Can the OS read Truecrypt files? Still have some of those. Vera is a Truecrypt fork and can still use them.

biometrics

Slack

Johnatan56

Sourcetree for the Mac too. I'm going to be right at home.

I prefer fork.
They recently went "paid", trial never runs out and bothers once every few weeks, it's a lifetime payment though.

I found source tree laggy for larger commits.

VS Code/IntelliJ suite.

biometrics

I prefer fork.
They recently went "paid", trial never runs out and bothers once every few weeks, it's a lifetime payment though.

I found source tree laggy for larger commits.

VS Code/IntelliJ suite.
We use Atlassian and Bitbucket and Sourcetree is included in the deal.

biometrics

Admittedly I’m trying to get up to speed quickly by replicating my Windows setup. Ideally I should get best of breed for the Mac but that will come with time. @GreGorGy has already pointed out some things to not use like MySQL Workbench and RealVNC which advice I’ll take up.

Johnatan56

We use Atlassian and Bitbucket and Sourcetree is included in the deal.
My work has the same set-up, though looking at moving away from Bitbucket, there's been just too many days of downtime/issues last year.
I still find git fork better (it is free, just license pop up once in a while, $50 once off to get rid of it).

biometrics

My work has the same set-up, though looking at moving away from Bitbucket, there's been just too many days of downtime/issues last year.
I still find git fork better (it is free, just license pop up once in a while, $50 once off to get rid of it).
Noted thanks. As mentioned I will explore once I’m up and running with what I’m familiar with.

biometrics

1610788871793.png

This was about R1,400 all in. There was a cheaper model with the same ports that this one looked more professional and the reviews were the best. Rather pay more for this type of thing and know it's reliable. This thing has almost every modern port you can think of. Already shipped too.

There are many models and cheaper too but I also wanted DisplayPort.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Amazing when my laptop has:
- HDMI
- 2x DP
- USB C TB
- 3x USB 3
- Ethernet
And is still a mere 15" device. :p

Johnatan56

Is it a Mac?
That's the exact point I am trying to make, Mac started this stupid trend of removing all the ports and other ultrabooks followed, even though it's damn annoying having to carry a dongle with for basic functionality.