Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

ForceFate_

I feel a little lethargic this morning. No fever or the usual symptoms associated with respiratory diseases but my throat feels a little dry. Maybe a cold or something.

Tribs

You could have been blocked up and breathed through your mouth. Keep an eye on it. I feel lethargic every day - a side effect of lockdown.

Mortymoose

I don't agree with sending the kids back, too soon in my opinion....still clmbing the curve at this stage..

biometrics

Grim Covid-19 projections for SA: 40 000 deaths, 1 million infections and a dire shortage of ICU beds

More than 40 000 people are expected to die from the coronavirus in South Africa by November, one million people will be infected and the country is unlikely to have enough ICU beds at the peak of the pandemic.

This according to a presentation by a group of scientists advising the government on projections and modelling to inform policy and regulations.

Dr Sheetal Silal, who led the presentation in a virtual meeting co-ordinated by Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, said projections showed there would be 40 000 deaths by November with 475 expected deaths by the end of May.

Fargle

I don't agree with sending the kids back, too soon in my opinion....still clmbing the curve at this stage..
The fucking poverty curve. We're going to be privy to the consequences of this fiasco over the next few months.
Ugly stuff.

Fargle

Grim Covid-19 projections for SA: 40 000 deaths, 1 million infections and a dire shortage of ICU beds

More than 40 000 people are expected to die from the coronavirus in South Africa by November, one million people will be infected and the country is unlikely to have enough ICU beds at the peak of the pandemic.

This according to a presentation by a group of scientists advising the government on projections and modelling to inform policy and regulations.

Dr Sheetal Silal, who led the presentation in a virtual meeting co-ordinated by Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, said projections showed there would be 40 000 deaths by November with 475 expected deaths by the end of May.

TERRIFYING statistics... Not!

satanboy

1. The World Health Organisation estimates that 124,000 people died of TB in South Africa in 2016 (about 330 daily).
nicd.ac.za/world-tb-day-2019/

2. TB remains the leading cause of death in South Africa, with 22 000 TB-related deaths and 56 000 deaths of people with TB and HIV in 2017, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).
iol.co.za/capetimes/news/sa-has-fifth-highest-burden-of-tb-globally-20074421

3. A total of 63 000 people died of tuberculosis (TB) in South Africa in 2018,
spotlightnsp.co.za/2019/10/18/63-000-tb-deaths-in-sa-in-2018/

and nothing was done...

biometrics

Had to go to town today. First time in 2 months. Lots of shops jumping the gun on the regulations. Restaurants doing take aways, book shops open, gift shops open.

Spizz

Had to go to town today. First time in 2 months. Lots of shops jumping the gun on the regulations. Restaurants doing take aways, book shops open, gift shops open.

What I’ve noticed is restaurants saying they will deliver to your car.

biometrics

What I’ve noticed is restaurants saying they will deliver to your car.
Yeah, all a grey area. I'm sure they can get away with it. I like how the gift shop is open because they have a few items of clothing or book shops claiming all books are educational. ;) I see your SO's deli is open too.

What I did notice is there are next to no customers. There are people around but they are going to the supermarkets. The rest seem to be shop assistants/owners hanging our on the sidewalk. Or just township people going for a stroll.

Things are certainly not normal.

biometrics

PICS | This is where Cape Town's Covid-19 'hotspots' are

Dunoon

Hotspot for the Table View, Parklands, Sandown, Du Noon, Burgundy Estate area on May 18.

Tygerberg

Tygerberg.

Khayelitsha North

Khayelitsha 1.

Khayelitsha South

Khayelitsha 2.

Klipfontein

Gugulethu is displayed as a hotspot in the centre of the slide, with Manenberg, Heideveld and Crossroads on either side.

Hout Bay

Hout Bay hotspots.