Civilizations are Probably Spreading Quickly Through the Universe

Seldom Bucket

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has always been plagued by uncertainty. With only one habitable planet (Earth) and one technologically advanced civilization (humanity) as examples, scientists are still confined to theorizing where other intelligent life forms could be (and what they might be up to). Sixty years later, the answer to Fermi’s famous question (“Where is Everybody?”) remains unanswered. On the plus side, this presents us with many opportunities to hypothesize possible locations, activities, and technosignatures that future observations can test.

Sonikku

Fermi's paradox is a very vexing thing.
But the problem is always the scale of the universe, we are only getting an idea of how big it really is as the years go by and probes return useful information.
A lot of SETI assumes listening for a signal from space. The reality is that we could have missed those signals, especially in the centuries before radio was invented. By now, if they do exist, use different technology or have moved on, so far away. I sometimes think we're playing catch-up and we have thousands of years to go. I have my doubts we will make it though. The world seems to be on a tipping point, everyone wants to kill each other.

biometrics

Fermi's paradox is a very vexing thing.
But the problem is always the scale of the universe, we are only getting an idea of how big it really is as the years go by and probes return useful information.
A lot of SETI assumes listening for a signal from space. The reality is that we could have missed those signals, especially in the centuries before radio was invented. By now, if they do exist, use different technology or have moved on, so far away. I sometimes think we're playing catch-up and we have thousands of years to go. I have my doubts we will make it though. The world seems to be on a tipping point, everyone wants to kill each other.
IMG_0512.jpeg

Sonikku

I was referring to the extent of extra-terrestrial transmissions approaching the Milky way.
In any event, the speed of RF is still 3 x 10e8 m/s, so all things being equal, it takes a bloody long time for radio signals to travel any appreciable distance in space.
Currently it takes nearly a full day for radio signals from Earth to reach Voyager 1 and 2, and the same for the reply