Are you trying to save ex COVID?

Textile Guy

Here's how South African households are currently trying to save money
The majority of South Africans are worried about paying their bills amid the coronavirus crisis - and their household budgets are starting to reflect that, according to a recent survey by SA's largest credit bureau, TransUnion.

1592917037609.png

1592917053991.png

koeks525

I have always been putting money aside towards my "emergency fund". Now that I became debt free as of May 2020, I have been able to save way more than usual. At this rate I should have "3x my monthly salary" by year end.

Textile Guy

I have always been putting money aside towards my "emergency fund". Now that I became debt free as of May 2020, I have been able to save way more than usual. At this rate I should have "3x my monthly salary" by year end.
Thats a really nice thing to hear .... good on ya ;)

Sinbad

Tried to. Did well for a month then i needed new tyres, new lawnmower, new leafblower, eye op all in the same month...

bigAl-sa

Tried to. Did well for a month then i needed new tyres, new lawnmower, new leafblower, eye op all in the same month...
Same issue here. It's amazing how these things sneak out and klap you.

koeks525

These things happen in life; you are trying to save away then boom, the bills come up. University fees statement came through the mail... I was expecting the amount; just sad I put away 1K less :confused:

Textile Guy

As South Africans, its pretty tough to save.

The Rand is as volatile as all hell, the government tax you to death, water and electricity are no longer "cheap", fuel prices never come down, and when you do save, something sneaks up ..................

The COVID must have hit a lot of folks pretty hard I assume.

biometrics

The Rand is as volatile as all hell, the government tax you to death, water and electricity are no longer "cheap", fuel prices never come down, and when you do save, something sneaks up ..................

Third month at 70% salary isn't helping.

SauRoN

It’s not that it’s tough to save, it’s that South Africans as a whole can’t distinguish the difference between wants and needs and blur those lines all too often.

The amount of ridiculous “needs” I’ve heard during this Covid crisis has just once again highlighted it for me.

Sent from my iPhone

Sinbad

It’s not that it’s tough to save, it’s that South Africans as a whole can’t distinguish the difference between wants and needs and blur those lines all too often.

The amount of ridiculous “needs” I’ve heard during this Covid crisis has just once again highlighted it for me.

Sent from my iPhone
Vokofeks I need mochachos

Papa Smurf

im doing none of above as i am fortunate enough to still be earning 100% salary each month BUT this has and will be analysed each month as we go forward.

I did however stop 3 months ago paying an additional R1500 into my home bond as I have been doing for many years to keep a positive cashflow just in case the pooh hits the fan tomorrow

3WA

I was saving great during the liquor ban. Now, not so much.

I also had to buy a new pair of pants.

Textile Guy

It was indeed a jean pant. A size 38.

Oooh - we should start a size 38 waist size club :)

But seriously, these are my pants of choice .... do ya think I can get any off the shelf ................. no.

Frikken Walmart and VF are clean out ...........

1593615225112.png