Any twitchers? Identify this bird

scudsucker

Yes, I know quite a few of you twitch, but mostly because you are annoyed by some dick's repeated stupidity.

This is an actual factual bird question. I am in McGregor in W. Cape. There are a couple of birds that have a nest under the eaves. The wife is a standard little brown job, but the husband is a little more unique.

20221222_123253.jpg

20221222_123231.jpg
Not great pics as I am shooting towards the sun with zoom on a cellphone.

What species are they?

Last edited:

scudsucker

Cool thanks. That was quick.

I put out some birdseed for them, hopefully they will be having little mossies soon.

Oh the flap-flap of little children's wings....

biometrics

Cool thanks. That was quick.

I put out some birdseed for them, hopefully they will be having little mossies soon.

Oh the flap-flap of little children's wings....
They like hanging around restaurants.

scudsucker

I went to the the Kruger a few years ago, with my soon-to-be-ex's parents.

We saw the usual rhinos (18 just on the 10km exit journey!) elephants, buffalo etc, but it made for a really interesting time because they are seriously into birdwatching - a whole new safari experience for me. I generally ignore birds but it was quite fascinating.

Stopping the car to identify some random bird sitting in a tree...

I liked it, made the whole experience much richer.

I didn't buy binoculars afterwards though.

Last edited:

Düber

Ouma got herself one of these books with the call finder (the dildo shaped device) so that she can hear the call to help identify the bird. Works well and a nice idea.

The only trouble she has is whenever she brings it out her daughters tease her constantly, " Mama se voelsoek boek en apparaat.."

1671730725912.png