Abandoned Places & Things

Düber

I like watching the Youtube channels of the guys that go and explore these places, amazing what they find.

Düber

I do too. They find some really OTT places
It also amazes me that some of the places are so completely undisturbed and still has all the stuff inside.

Here a place that stands empty for a month has been stripped and perhaps even had some of the bricks removed.

Tribs

It also amazes me that some of the places are so completely undisturbed and still has all the stuff inside.

Here a place that stands empty for a month has been stripped and perhaps even had some of the bricks removed.
So true - even occupied houses cannot be left for long.

scudsucker

I'm taking my kids (with a guide) through the abandoned WWII naval artillery station above Llandudno - most of it underground - later this month. I'll try to post pics.

scudsucker

There's a tunnel straight through the back end of Table Mountain, off the Orange Kloof trail where water used to be piped onto the pipe trail and end up in Camps Bay. There's a newer tunnel a bit further up now, but it is also pretty old.

This one is from 1891, though. You can squeeze through the gap in the masonary and walk about 150m to get a view of the Atlantic Ocean.

images

Last edited:

Tribs

There's a tunnel straight through the back end of Table Mountain, off the Orange Kloof trail where water used to be piped onto the pipe trail and end up in Camps Bay. There's a newer tunnel a bit further up now, but it is also pretty old.

This one is from 1891, though. You can squeeze through the gap in the masonary and walk about 150m to get a view of the Atlantic Ocean.

images
I have to do this !!!

scudsucker

I have to do this !!!
Woodhead tunnel, as seen in @satanboy post above.

It is trivial to sneak into Orangekloof, though you are supposed to get a permit. Get to Constantia Nek, and instead of going up, go very slightly down to the left of the mountain and past the cement water reservoirs on your right.

Keep walking, it's pretty flat,, keep right until the valley closes in. At this point you should see one of two paths down to the river, where the tunnel is. If you pass a telephone pole, definitely turn left and go downstream.

About 3km walk to get there, I think, but I don't have my map now.

satanboy

1686654098590.png
Kleinbrak
Situated just outside of Klein Brak River on the Garden Route is an old abandoned power station that might have caught your eye as you sped past.
This abandoned building has since been conquered by lush trees growing through what was once a roof that makes you wonder what’s inside, and what it used to be.
According to UCT, the reason for closing down this power station was that the engineers situated the power station on the banks of the river so that the water could be used for cooling, but they did not consider that river is a tidal one.
The water was therefore salty, and corrosion to the materials occurred, leading to the station being decommissioned, and the machinery moved. The large pools surrounding the station were said to be used by locals as warm swimming pools. The building was never demolished, and nature took its course.
Today, the power station is surrounded by a township aptly named Powertown.

satanboy

1688139051823.png

1688139261744.png

1688139067368.png
The international telecommunications company Motorola once had its headquarters in Schaumburg, a suburb of Chicago, Illinois.
But as times and fortunes change, Motorola found itself drawn back to the heart of Chicago and this site ended up becoming abandoned.
A decision was made to demolish the campus in 2017 in order to build a multifunctional complex on this site in the future which would include residential and office premises, restaurants, and entertainment venues.

UrbanStreet Group and Antunovich Associates set up a joint venture called Veridian which would transform this abandoned site into a thriving urban centre. It is anticipated that the first stage of this project will be completed in the fall of 2020.

Interestingly, although Motorola moved its headquarters to Chicago, it will still be one of the anchor tenants in the new complex, housed in the two original buildings that were not demolished. It will spend $83 million in renovating those properties and will retain 1,600 jobs onsite.