A Very Powerful Solar Storm Hit the Earth Back in 1582

Seldom Bucket

“A great fire appeared in the sky to the North, and lasted three nights,” wrote a Portuguese scribe in early March, 1582. Across the globe in feudal Japan, observers in Kyoto noted the same fiery red display in their skies too. Similar accounts of strange nighttime lights were recorded in Leipzig, Germany; Yecheon, South Korea; and a dozen other cities across Europe and East Asia.

It was a stunning event. While people living at high latitudes were well aware of auroras in 1582, most people living closer to the equator were not. The solar storm that year was unlike anything in living memory, and it was so strong it brought the aurora to latitudes as low as 28 degrees (in line with Florida, Egypt, and southern Japan). People this close to the equator had no frame of reference for such dazzling nighttime displays, and many took it as a religious portent.

Düber

I am sure Eskom has done all the scenario forecasting and has good plans in place for such an event.

Its is difficult to imagine how such an event would impact our lives, we had a bad lightning storm two weeks ago and I am still mending and replacing things.

Seldom Bucket

I am sure Eskom has done all the scenario forecasting and has good plans in place for such an event.

Its is difficult to imagine how such an event would impact our lives, we had a bad lightning storm two weeks ago and I am still mending and replacing things.
That's the thing, we are overdue for another storm, when that corona breaks off the sun and hits us full force here on earth, everything will come to a stand still. Back then it was basically a meh.

Düber

That's the thing, we are overdue for another storm, when that corona breaks off the sun and hits us full force here on earth, everything will come to a stand still. Back then it was basically a meh.
Yes only a few sunburnt noses and an interesting sky.
Now it would be the electricity, satellites, cell phones, internet, railways, the list goes on. Just look at the havoc a ship in Suez canal caused. It would make life very interesting indeed especially considering the limited warning.

Seldom Bucket

Yes only a few sunburnt noses and an interesting sky.
Now it would be the electricity, satellites, cell phones, internet, railways, the list goes on. Just look at the havoc a ship in Suez canal caused. It would make life very interesting indeed especially considering the limited warning.
One can actually look back at this in the late 1800's/1900's when a solar storm hit and shut down the telegram system. Now look at what happened then and multiply by 5000