Motor Vehicle News

Düber

Then again my "free" service plan last years longer than my "free" warranty. So does it matter?
I don't think it has any impact on existing deals, so you "free" service plan will run its course.

Going forward, my understanding is that,

Your shiny new car costs - R100 (used to be R130)
Service plan (optional) -R30 (used to be "free" or included)

You decide that uncle Joe does a better job than SCW ( Shiny Car Workshop) so you don't take the service plan and keep the money in your piggy bank to pay Joe as and when your car needs a service.
Your new car's wheel falls off because of a manufacturing fault on the suspension ( silly example ), in the past SCW would tell you that as you had used Joe, they will unfortunately not cover the suspension.

This is the part that has changed, from July next year they would, in theory at least, be forced to cover it.

biometrics

I don't think it has any impact on existing deals, so you "free" service plan will run its course.

Going forward, my understanding is that,

Your shiny new car costs - R100 (used to be R130)
Service plan (optional) -R30 (used to be "free" or included)

You decide that uncle Joe does a better job than SCW ( Shiny Car Workshop) so you don't take the service plan and keep the money in your piggy bank to pay Joe as and when your car needs a service.
Your new car's wheel falls off because of a manufacturing fault on the suspension ( silly example ), in the past SCW would tell you that as you had used Joe, they will unfortunately not cover the suspension.

This is the part that has changed, from July next year they would, in theory at least, be forced to cover it.
I get it.

Unless of course SCW can show that the work Joe did was the cause of the failure. I assume there will be exceptions.

Düber

Unless of course SCW can show that the work Joe did was the cause of the failure. I assume there will be exceptions.

There will be plenty of finger pointing and micro scrutiny of everything in search of a loophole, :) a bit worse than it is now.
Joe's workshop would also have to meet certain standards, RMI etc.

Rudolph Hart

In my experience, if you’re using a decent independent workshop who has a good reputation and the right credentials, they’re not a whole lot cheaper than the agents are.

Seldom Bucket

Review: 2020 BMW X3 Hybrid – a plug gets added to the popular SAV​

BMW has been slowly electrifying all of its vehicles. The small X3 crossover has been a popular staple in the automaker's lineup for a few years, offering family-sized luxury with BMW’s signature driver’s focus. Now the X3 has a plug-in option, the X3 Hybrid.

The vehicle builds on the well-done X3 "sport activity vehicle" (SAV) models, which have spacious interiors, good performance, and eye-catching good looks. The standard X3 (the sDrive30i) is powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and eight-speed automatic transmission in front-wheel drive. Its xDrive30i twin is the same, but adds all-wheel drive. Both have 248 peak horsepower (185 kW). Then there’s the M series for the X3, starting with the M40i and going to the M and the M Competition, all of which use a 3.0-liter six-cylinder with an eight-speed automatic. Power outputs range from 382 to 503 horsepower (285-375 kW).

Seldom Bucket