Laptop casing opening, how would I fix this

Blantyre

1.jpeg

As you can see, I've had bad luck again and this is a refurb I bought three months ago. Not a major issue but it just annoys me and sometimes makes a cracking noise.

The residue you see there is just the fragments of a rubber compound that I put there to remove the cracking sound but is there anyway to fix this?

I don't want it to worsen overtime.

SlinkyMike

Not sure, it has an internal battery.

I ordered some Pattex glue and so will use that to just stick it together to to halt any further damage.
Case cracking like this could well be due to a swelling battery. If that is the case then know that one day it will explode.

1632382892467.png

Blantyre

I ended up applying glue on the frame just under a month ago. The issue seems to have stopped for now.

Johnatan56

I ended up applying glue on the frame just under a month ago. The issue seems to have stopped for now.
Did you not check that it's the battery swelling? If it's the battery swelling, you definitely do not want to do this but rather take out/swap the battery. It is a fire hazard and can either break apart or just combust at a point, especially as you are actively using it.

Blantyre

Did you not check that it's the battery swelling? If it's the battery swelling, you definitely do not want to do this but rather take out/swap the battery. It is a fire hazard and can either break apart or just combust at a point, especially as you are actively using it.
l just did. No sign of swelling at all.

However, as can be seen in the second image, I did break one of those brackets by the vent. Could that have contributed to the casing opening?

Another minor issue is that the speaker distorts when the machine is moved.

I had the issue when I first got it and sent it back to the seller. He said he had to "update the drivers" and it worked before the speaker issue resurfaced a month later.

I just searched the process to get to speakers on YouTube and it does not seem like something a novice like myself should be attempting. I'd probably be better off just getting a Bluetooth speaker?

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_194144.jpg
    IMG_20211019_194144.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211019_194645.jpg
    IMG_20211019_194645.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Blantyre

Update: I happened to come across a YouTube video on my laptop which suggested I tighten the screw near the hinge as I noticed one hinge was a bit loose as well. It seems like that loose screw may have caused the casing to pop open.

My laptop opened up in an identical way to what can be seen on the thumbnail of this video.

It seems like it is an issue with this particular model.

Thank heavens there is YouTube, had I taken this to a shop, there is a good chance they would have charged me R700 or more to tighten a screw.

Johnatan56

Update: I happened to come across a YouTube video on my laptop which suggested I tighten the screw near the hinge as I noticed one hinge was a bit loose as well. It seems like that loose screw may have caused the casing to pop open.

My laptop opened up in an identical way to what can be seen on the thumbnail of this video.

It seems like it is an issue with this particular model.

Thank heavens there is YouTube, had I taken this to a shop, there is a good chance they would have charged me R700 or more to tighten a screw.

Nice, that's why I recommended checking the Dell reddit and asking there, best chance of finding others who had the same issue.

SauRoN

That looks like bad hinge design.

Dell?

I’m afraid you are at its mercy and history has told me you can’t fix this. It’s the hinge itself that is failing pushing the covers off.

I see you’ve come right. Yeah this is a piss poor design on Dell’s part on a couple of models and good thing you’ve caught it early.

It will become irreparable in time unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro