Coronavirus around the world thread

satanboy

1641379281801.png
Franck Glaizal, co-founder of Airxom.

The white plastic shell of these masks covers the nose and mouth—and looks like something out of Star Wars.

But their inventors say they can stop pollution, bacteria and even COVID.

Connected to a belt-worn device, it contains an "active" filter capable of destroying fine particles and pathogens or pollutants.

"It's a fantastic tool to fight the COVID crisis," said Franck Glaizal, co-founder of Airxom.

"Traditional masks are not 100 percent airtight, air passes through the sides. Our mask is completely airtight", said Trong Dai Nguyen, an engineer with the company.

The current model is due to be released in a few months, for about $340.

"If you change (surgical) masks every four hours, after three years it is more expensive than our mask," he added.

techxplore

EADC

View attachment 30963
Franck Glaizal, co-founder of Airxom.

The white plastic shell of these masks covers the nose and mouth—and looks like something out of Star Wars.

But their inventors say they can stop pollution, bacteria and even COVID.

Connected to a belt-worn device, it contains an "active" filter capable of destroying fine particles and pathogens or pollutants.

"It's a fantastic tool to fight the COVID crisis," said Franck Glaizal, co-founder of Airxom.

"Traditional masks are not 100 percent airtight, air passes through the sides. Our mask is completely airtight", said Trong Dai Nguyen, an engineer with the company.

The current model is due to be released in a few months, for about $340.

"If you change (surgical) masks every four hours, after three years it is more expensive than our mask," he added.

techxplore

We already 2 years in, we looking at another 3?

Johnatan56

If the mask is airtight, how does the weaarer breath? Using modified SCUBA gear?
Airtight as in all coming through filter, normal surgical masks have gaps, that's the same for pretty much all masks, and if his is plastic, the same applies.

Textile Guy

So, I got caught up the Afrophobia late last year.

I needed to get to Florida in December from deepest darkest Africa - the place that more travel restrictions against it than there are fleas on my dog.
It was a staunch case of Afrophobia for sure.

Fucit - what a mission.
Emirates were flying out of SA, and we had tickets, but then they stopped flights. Contact them, and a whole bunch of nothingness.
So, while I am waiting on them, I decide to find an alternate airline. The only option I had - Delta. But then the US got ansie with travellers from SA, so canned that. Could not transit thru any EU hubs, and eventually Emirates said they would resume service - then abruptly changed their mind. Took that opportunity to get a ticket refund.

I went off to sure travel and asked them to inform me of the first available opportunity - well - that was a waste of time.

In desperation, I watched flight radar sites to see what planes were in the air ............

I found one - Turkish Airlines OT Tambo to Istanbul. Istanbul to Mexico City ...... I could see the planes and flight telemetry - so the planes were physically in the air.

Contact Turkish airlines directly, and they pretty much told me they are flying SA passengers. Its almost if they didnt want to go public because of the absolute Omicron / Africa politics.

So, contact the company I work for and arrange to work out of the Mexico plant for three months. Our civilian canopies are made there.
Off to the Mexican embassy and got a visa, but this time I got visas for my adult sons too. The whole family was coming with me on this little lay over.

In the mean time, because I could not get back to Florida, Wells Fargo closed my account - I was to personally go in to show residency. So, I sit with that little issue now. Luckily that particular account only has $6000 in it. Problem for another day.

Booked tickets on the second flight out of SA, flew to Istanbul new terminal. Its really stunning! 18 hour layover, but 6 of those in the Yotel hotel in terminal. Onto Mexico city, hired a car, drove to Guadalajara, and now I wait on the next step.

Mexico is lekker - nothing like the movies. But Florida is better.

The GC applications are in work, my job has been advertised and US citizens can apply, but so far, no suitable applications have been received, so thats a good thing.
In the meantime, I am trying to get a Mexican work permit, I will need it going forward so while I am here ..... and waiting for a US consular appointment to get my work visa renewed. That could a be problem because the US is being so anally insular right now ......

So that brings me upto date on my COVID experiences ........

Dave

New Research Points to Wuhan Market as Pandemic Origin​

Scientists released a pair of extensive studies on Saturday that point to a market in Wuhan, China, as the origin of the coronavirus pandemic. The two reports, totaling about 150 pages, have not yet been published in a scientific journal.

The researchers analyzed data from a range of sources to look for clues to how the pandemic arose. They concluded that the coronavirus was present in live mammals sold in the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in late 2019. The research suggests that the virus very likely twice spilled over into people working or shopping at the market. The researchers said they found no support for an alternate hypothesis that the coronavirus escaped from a lab in Wuhan.

“When you look at all of the evidence together, it’s an extraordinarily clear picture that the pandemic started at the Huanan market,” said Michael Worobey, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Arizona and a co-author of both studies.

The authors of the new study include researchers who previously published smaller reports that had pointed towards a similar conclusion, but based on much less detail.

Many of the first cases of Covid-19 clustered around the Huanan market. By the end of December 2019, hospitals in Wuhan had found dozens of cases of viral pneumonia.

The market was closed on Jan. 1, 2020, the same day that hundreds of thousands of people left Wuhan to travel back to their hometowns for the Lunar New Year. Millions more left the city in January, seeding local outbreaks across China.

This is a developing story.