Your Desktop (computer or phone)

Lara

I don't see anyone complaining about Y2K's messy desktop
You took the bait and everyone wants a piece of the action. :D

ps. There is nothing wrong with lots of shortcut on your desktop. If you like it that way who is to say you cannot. :)

... but consider moving it to the start menu. ;)

Johnatan56

Wait, how much friggin RAM is needed for all 3 background pics? And you Okes complain about my 80 shortcuts consuming less RAM than a stiffy disc? Weirdos
A few decades ago now, when XP logged into the person's machine, it would have to go fetch every file on the desktop and load it into memory when it started, this was pretty fun if you were e.g. on a domain machine that then had to transfer your account over the network.

Think back in high school some people complained about slow logins, would always be having e.g. a 500MB-1GB game on the desktop, move that into their documents folder and log-in became fast.

Not sure if W10 does the same anymore.

I have that shortcuts folder on my desktop, it points to the desktop shortcuts in my documents folder, it's so if I search the start-menu that is prioritized for when I search certain apps, makes fuzzy search better for stuff that's not "officially" installed, so portable tools.

And clean desktop nowadays, it's the same as my work desk has nearly nothing on it, it's messy workspace, messy mind.

Papa Smurf

A few decades ago now, when XP logged into the person's machine, it would have to go fetch every file on the desktop and load it into memory when it started, this was pretty fun if you were e.g. on a domain machine that then had to transfer your account over the network.

Think back in high school some people complained about slow logins, would always be having e.g. a 500MB-1GB game on the desktop, move that into their documents folder and log-in became fast.

Not sure if W10 does the same anymore.

I have that shortcuts folder on my desktop, it points to the desktop shortcuts in my documents folder, it's so if I search the start-menu that is prioritized for when I search certain apps, makes fuzzy search better for stuff that's not "officially" installed, so portable tools.

And clean desktop nowadays, it's the same as my work desk has nearly nothing on it, it's messy workspace, messy mind.
Makes sense
I just checked and each shortcut varies in size, a few hundred bytes
But each one uses 4096 bytes (4KB)
Makes sense according to how the HD is formatted
It is a tiny 240GB SSD

Anyways, 80 icons x 4KB = 320 KiloBytes
That's less than an original 360KB Floppy Disk that I had in the late 80s

Clearly this isn't going to be a challenge on todays PC's running Winblows 10 (y)

Johnatan56

Makes sense
I just checked and each shortcut varies in size, a few hundred bytes
But each one uses 4096 bytes (4KB)
Makes sense according to how the HD is formatted
It is a tiny 240GB SSD

Anyways, 80 icons x 4KB = 320 KiloBytes
That's less than an original 360KB Floppy Disk that I had in the late 80s

Clearly this isn't going to be a challenge on todays PC's running Winblows 10 (y)
Again, shortcuts are not an issue in size, and I don't mind them, others might as it's not minimal.
For me, shortcuts are superfluous, any tool I want to run for work I know the name of and hit windows key, type name and hit enter, letting fuzzy search take care of it.
For games, it's all in steam, so no need for shortcut.

I do sometimes have a folder/shortcut on my desktop for short-term things to remember, e.g. need a word doc for something I'm going to send today, etc., same as when you have something on your desk to not forget about it, once done with it, remove it from the desk.

Papa Smurf

In my case this piece of shit is only for gaming and nothing else
It is loaded full of "demo" games and I have zero idea how legit they are
AVG hasn't complained yet
But I still dont trust it
My everyday internetting is on this laptop im using now, nothing 'illegal' on it for safety purposes

BloodrayneZA

Oh Unix. Looks eerily similar to Python