You can become an expert in anything in three years

Nicholas

I'd like to learn how it was established that anybody can attain expert level in any subject/profession/skill in three years or even 10 years, and how well this has been tested.

1639862718963.png

I can't think of anything I want to learn off-hand. I would want it to be something that I would use regularly rather than learning it for the sake of learning it. [I don't know what I should know. :LOL:]

biometrics

I'd like to learn how it was established that anybody can attain expert level in any subject/profession/skill in three years or even 10 years, and how well this has been tested.

View attachment 30626

I can't think of anything I want to learn off-hand. I would want it to be something that I would use regularly rather than learning it for the sake of learning it. [I don't know what I should know. :LOL:]
Based on the idea that you can master any skill in 10,000 hours.

Blantyre

Based on the idea that you can master any skill in 10,000 hours.

Still not possible. Just did some basic math and you'd have to be working every 2 hours in three years, lol. It would lead to burnout.

Anyway, I'd like to master a language that could be useful like Zulu or Arabic.

Tribs

I am learning a lot at the moment. But I want to add HTML and CSS to that this December. My website needs a revamp and a friend told me he will help me build it. He will guide me I guess. I also want to know MS SQL better than I do - so bought two of those Udemy courses. Currently learning a lot about mySQL as my clients have that but will have to move to MS as they upgrade one of the software products.

I doubt I will ever be an expert in anything. I have always enjoyed being a jack of all trades - knowing a little of everything and learning all the time.

Nicholas

Still not possible. Just did some basic math and you'd have to be working every 2 hours in three years, lol. It would lead to burnout.

Anyway, I'd like to master a language that could be useful like Zulu or Arabic.
Before that, your body would need to be capable of doing what you had persuaded yourself you wanted to achieve.

Nicholas

I am learning a lot at the moment. But I want to add HTML and CSS to that this December. My website needs a revamp and a friend told me he will help me build it. He will guide me I guess. I also want to know MS SQL better than I do - so bought two of those Udemy courses. Currently learning a lot about mySQL as my clients have that but will have to move to MS as they upgrade one of the software products.

I doubt I will ever be an expert in anything. I have always enjoyed being a jack of all trades - knowing a little of everything and learning all the time.
Knowing what you want and having some idea of how you will acquire it is a good start. Not everyone gets that far.

How do we measure expertise, and is "expert" an objective term?

Nicholas

When you decide to try something, how much time do you devote to ruminating over whether what you are aspiring to is realistic? If you have doubts, do you opt not to attempt whatever it is you were going to, but revert to what you were doing before until another idea strikes you?

What is your thought process?

Tribs

When you decide to try something, how much time do you devote to ruminating over whether what you are aspiring to is realistic? If you have doubts, do you opt not to attempt whatever it is you were going to, but revert to what you were doing before until another idea strikes you?

What is your thought process?
Often my insecurities and thoughts prevent me from doing things. Deadlines help. I will delay anything if I can - it is either habit or nature. So I find a way to make it something that has to be done. And often I tell myself that I won't know till I try.

Case in point. I had put off the HTML stuff because in my head it was very difficult. I am in a project now and it is not as bad as I thought. It is actually a lot of fun so far. Granted I am doing really basic stuff - following a video for now.

You should perhaps look at doing it Birdie. You could showcase your ladies.
There are lots of videos but this is the one I am using for now.

scudsucker

Golf.... golf is easy.

You need a wood, an iron, and a putter.
The rest of the bag you fill with beer.

Ensure you only start drinking on hole 2 - out of site of the clubhouse.