Wonderbags - anyone use one?

bigAl-sa

I was given one. It's useful for keeping food warm, but in spite of the blurb, it doesn't really cook food. For example, I use it for rehydrating beans in boiling water overnight - the beans are still rock hard the next morning and still have to be boiled.

I use mine regularly for keeping food warm when pop down to visit my location, but would I buy it? The answer is no.

BloodrayneZA

My mom got gifted one a few years ago - only good for one thing, keeping food warm overnight. I grew up with one through my grandparents and it was either oats porridge or mielie porridge nice and hot in the morning first thing.

biometrics

Neighbour gave us one a few years ago, one cat adopted it to sleep on. Never used it for its intended purpose.

Papa Smurf

could be useful for leftover pizza to eat first thing in the morning, better than nuking pizza in a microwave I reckon.
Not tried it though, just a thought

Rudolph Hart

I’m not convinced that keeping food warm overnight is a great idea. I keep my leftover in the fridge so that they stay fresh and don’t go off. I suppose deliberately keeping stuff like chicken or even rice warm overnight is a good way to use up some of that toilet paper you stockpiled back in April.

CloudStroller

I’m not convinced that keeping food warm overnight is a great idea. I keep my leftover in the fridge so that they stay fresh and don’t go off. I suppose deliberately keeping stuff like chicken or even rice warm overnight is a good way to use up some of that toilet paper you stockpiled back in April.
Yeah this thought occurred to me as well. If it's warm for extended periods, that sounds like a bacteria breeding ground.

I'd imagine that to use it as intended, your pot would need to be boiling, but the insulation should be good enough to keep the temp at above 60 or so for several hours?

I have a slow-cooker already, but I do enjoy braising - you do a bit on the stove, then transfer the entire pot to the oven at 120 or so, works nicely for big Sunday lunches. But the oven does need to be on for 4-6 hours... so I thought a Wonderbag might be a way to save on 'lectric.

But it seems not. Thanks for the feedback, ladies and gents!