Windows 11

biometrics

Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more​

The next version of Windows has leaked online

Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 11 operating system has leaked online today. After screenshots were first published at Chinese site Baidu, the entire Windows 11 OS has appeared online, complete with a new user interface, Start menu, and lots more.

The new Windows 11 user interface and Start menu look very similar to what was originally found in Windows 10X. Microsoft had been simplifying Windows for dual-screen devices, before canceling this project in favor of Windows 11. Visually, the biggest changes you’ll notice can be found along the taskbar. Microsoft has centered the app icons here, cleaned up the tray area, and included a new Start button and menu.

061FCF1A-8766-45EB-8DD5-9EE860AAE25C.jpeg

5F4FC0C8-491C-423C-BF67-089E5CE5701F.jpeg

Nicholas

About this TPM 2.0 thing - is it a chip that is only found on hardware released within the last five years or so?

biometrics

About this TPM 2.0 thing - is it a chip that is only found on hardware released within the last five years or so?
Provides a cryptographic key got encryption. Can be a chip on the motherboard or build into the CPU. PC's from the last few years should have it.

LD50

New Windows versions always give me flashbacks to Windows ME :sick:

Johnatan56

Anything about 6th gen Intel and newer, but note the 1.4 support as well.

Will probably move to Linux before W11 unless something drastic happens, the forced MS account is not sitting well with me, all my stuff is local accounts, I don't want an always online machine.

At least we'll start seeing more Linux compatible stuff I think, Unreal Engine 5 has support for it (so does 4 with Vulkan). Biggest issue with adoption right now is Easy Anti-cheat doesn't work via Proton (So windows EAC on Linux, there is an EAC for Linux).

For productivity apps, I don't see myself still having any .Net Framework apps to support in ~3 years, so no need to have a Windows build environment.

Y2K

/Format ... Install Linux!
Yeah no some people actually have work to do and Adobe, Microsoft Office and other essential applications that generate an income for people do not run on Linux and there are no plans to get it working because its not worth the time. Only thing I'd bother putting linux on is a server, MacOS or Windows will have to do for the daily drivers.

Nicholas

Anything about 6th gen Intel and newer, but note the 1.4 support as well.

Will probably move to Linux before W11 unless something drastic happens, the forced MS account is not sitting well with me, all my stuff is local accounts, I don't want an always online machine.

At least we'll start seeing more Linux compatible stuff I think, Unreal Engine 5 has support for it (so does 4 with Vulkan). Biggest issue with adoption right now is Easy Anti-cheat doesn't work via Proton (So windows EAC on Linux, there is an EAC for Linux).

For productivity apps, I don't see myself still having any .Net Framework apps to support in ~3 years, so no need to have a Windows build environment.
I guess I'll be using Windows 10 for as long as I can get away with it, then. I'm not replacing my CPU, motherboard, and RAM until one or more of those fails.

Nicholas

Provides a cryptographic key got encryption. Can be a chip on the motherboard or build into the CPU. PC's from the last few years should have it.

Thank you

Johnatan56

Yeah no some people actually have work to do and Adobe, Microsoft Office and other essential applications that generate an income for people do not run on Linux and there are no plans to get it working because its not worth the time. Only thing I'd bother putting linux on is a server, MacOS or Windows will have to do for the daily drivers.
Chicken and egg problem, and tbh I am expecting Adobe to go cloud sooner rather than later, in terms of you'll be importing the stuff to work on their servers rather than on your local.

In regards to MS office, all in browser and apps like Teams are on Linux as well, that's not really a hold-up. The biggest worry there for MS is Chromebooks taking over, so they need to be able to compete in cheap end, so I'd not be surprised if it comes to Linux within the next 2/3 years.

The "work" argument has been changing as you really don't need that much for work, and most stuff is moving to browser based, so doesn't matter the OS, so Linux can start taking over there and it's easy enough to operate while being a bit less resource intensive depending on the distribution.

As a dev, I'd go full Linux if I didn't have .Net framework stuff to support and some games.

Y2K

Chicken and egg problem, and tbh I am expecting Adobe to go cloud sooner rather than later, in terms of you'll be importing the stuff to work on their servers rather than on your local.

In regards to MS office, all in browser and apps like Teams are on Linux as well, that's not really a hold-up. The biggest worry there for MS is Chromebooks taking over, so they need to be able to compete in cheap end, so I'd not be surprised if it comes to Linux within the next 2/3 years.

The "work" argument has been changing as you really don't need that much for work, and most stuff is moving to browser based, so doesn't matter the OS, so Linux can start taking over there and it's easy enough to operate while being a bit less resource intensive depending on the distribution.

As a dev, I'd go full Linux if I didn't have .Net framework stuff to support and some games.
You mean we'd be importing/uploading raw footage into the cloud? I don't see that working out.

Yes you can use MS Office in browser but it still lacks certain features.

Believe me I'm not fighting you on this, if I could have all those things on Linux I'd be on it right now, but we all know how they like to squeeze out every last penny.

Johnatan56

You mean we'd be importing/uploading raw footage into the cloud? I don't see that working out.
Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., no issue. Premiere will be more questionable, but I'd be better on a premium tier that allows x hours of footage etc. and large companies will take advantage as render times will decrease. Most large studios already rent out render farms for large projects.

The question is more one of how much the price is going to increase by.

And Davinci Resolve. :p
Doubt that is going to fly in most of those studios though, if all already on Premiere, not worth the hassle to move for now.