Why are court cases constantly being postponed in SA?

biometrics

Anyone with some legal/court knowledge, can you explain why court cases are continuously postponed? Why don't they get on with it? Even the most mundane cases like Malema discharging a weapon keeps being postponed? It makes no sense! This is why we have so much corruption, there is no concequence.

Düber

I am no legal expert but this baffles me too. The other thing is the delay in judgements, the BATSA case is still outstanding AFAIK for instance.
Why can't they just get on with things.
Perhaps it is just the "high" profile cases? Is it perhaps just more billable hours for the lawyers?

ForceFate_

I am no legal expert but this baffles me too. The other thing is the delay in judgements, the BATSA case is still outstanding AFAIK for instance.
Why can't they just get on with things.
Perhaps it is just the "high" profile cases? Is it perhaps just more billable hours for the lawyers?
Could it be something to do with large volumes of cases going through the courts at the moment, coupled with limited resources?

Düber

Could it be something to do with large volumes of cases going through the courts at the moment, coupled with limited resources?
Yes of course it does, that makes a case for speedy resolutions even stronger.
The difficulty is knowing whether it is a cause or effect?

It depends what happens in the background. If there are other events or investigations that will have an impact on the court case, the date will get moved. Of course these guys know how to play the system and make sure it drags on for as long as possible.

Paul Hjul

Several reasons, some of them are quite nefarious and an indictment on our legal system being dysfunctional but others are quite sensible. A matter properly litigated will entail several stages and one party may try to bring a matter to court or trial prematurely or the like.