Who do you use for your .co.za domain and email?

biometrics

Not very happy with my current supplier. I moved from Domains.co.za as they didn't have an email option.

I don't have experience in the new .co.za domain since the old .co.za email based registrar.

slayer

Domains has an email option now, so my vote would be for them..

I am with 1grid, they don't recommend them as support is going to be headache when you need help..

As soon as I have an issue, I'll be migrating..

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Tribs

We have been using them for years -Hetzner. Have been with them since the 90s. Have mail and domain.
Not sure if they are expensive or not - but have had very few problems

dabean

I am with 1grid, they don't recommend them as support is going to be headache when you need help..

I'm at 1-grid too. Similar experience, wouldn't recommend.

Pho3nix

Try absolute hosting? R150 a year for domain and hosting and the support is very quick.

biometrics

Try absolute hosting? R150 a year for domain and hosting and the support is very quick.
That's where I am. Yes, the support is quick, which I appreciate. The thing is, the stuff I ask for help with, I shouldn't have to, and don't at other hosts. Their UI doesn't work. You change a setting, it reflects, but it doesn't work, for example.

Pho3nix

That's where I am. Yes, the support is quick, which I appreciate. The thing is, the stuff I ask for help with, I shouldn't have to, and don't at other hosts. Their UI doesn't work. You change a setting, it reflects, but it doesn't work, for example.

I can agree with that :\ Maybe look at Domains.co.za then?
Haven't used them in a long time but mate has had a great experience with them

biometrics

I can agree with that :\ Maybe look at Domains.co.za then?
Haven't used them in a long time but mate has had a great experience with them
I was at Domains but they didn't have a basic email option.

Bryn

Not very happy with my current supplier. I moved from Domains.co.za as they didn't have an email option.

I don't have experience in the new .co.za domain since the old .co.za email based registrar.

Why does email matter with your domain host? Domains.co.za have the best local domain pricing I've seen, and you get free DNS which most WHMCS web hosts don't offer unless you have a hosting package.

Get your email from Microsoft 365 Business Standard or G Suite Basic/Business. Or get a proper reseller server from Mailcheap/MXRoute etc. for yourself and your clients. Or even just a cheap email account from Namecheap if it's just for yourself - they're much better value than any local mail option I'm aware of.

1-Grid is the single worst host on Earth imo. Migrate immediately man. How did you even end up with them?

itareanlnotanI

registerdomain.co.za for registration.

Hosting I do myself. (Have our own dedicated servers or VPS's in various continents - US and China mainland).
VPS's I quite like Digital Ocean.

Hetzner is the devil. Fuck them. Bunch of dicks.

• Haha
Reactions: Y2K

netstrider

Not sure why you'd want a domain with email only when hosting is so cheap? Always struggled to understand that. Could someone please explain?

biometrics

Not sure why you'd want a domain with email only when hosting is so cheap? Always struggled to understand that. Could someone please explain?
This server is at Digital Ocean. Setting up a mail server seemed too overly complex to me. So it seemed easier to just get email from my .co.za registrar as well. It was registered at domains.co.za at the time and they didn't have an email service, so I moved to absolutehosting.co.za that had both.

itareanlnotanI

Look at docker for a mail server setup - can be accomplished within a few lines these days.
Mail servers need a lot of handholding though, so best to outsource unless you do that as a core competency.

I do, so we run our own mail servers.

netstrider

I use GoDaddy btw.

Been using them for near a decade for .com and .co.za

They've been in the industry longer than any of the local players.

Jade @ AH

Howdy - can you send me more details so that I can look into this. Ultimately if we can improve then I want to know how. Also interested in the UI issues that dont work.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Johnatan56

Currently Datakeepers/virtualhosts for my personal one, as I also have my site with them, should have shopped around but didn't bother.

The reason I went with them is because I could pick that I wanted to have my VPS in Cape Town, which I originally picked because of low latency if I wanted to have a DB set up there, and then kept there as I occasionally use it to host a VPN server for when I want to play some older LAN games with friends.

Don't have e-mail set up as using Gmail.

biometrics

Howdy - can you send me more details so that I can look into this. Ultimately if we can improve then I want to know how. Also interested in the UI issues that dont work.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Feel free to check the old support tickets. Can't really remember now. The one issue I recall is that setting an email forwarder didn't work. Apparently some incompatibility with the UI vs the backend. You mentioned it.

Also, the discarding of emails when I sent something like 100 emails rather than slowing it down wasn't cool. I'm now using AWS SES.