When last did you travel and when are you hoping to do so again?

R

[)roi(]

I think it depends, to an extent traveling is overrated and these days many people just go to places for the sake of getting that selfie there. I've been on three youth trips and some millennials spend more time focusing on Instagram photos than actually soaking the atmosphere.

But in the same vein, I've had some of my best life experiences traveling, I suppose it's about finding what you enjoy and going and doing that. I also just enjoy letting loose, forgetting about reality, and drinking and smoking shisha when traveling. I hate museums which some people love and would rather avoid them altogether.

Last I went was to Egypt in 2019. Hoping to go back to the Middle East sometime when the chance arises. I really enjoy middle eastern vibes, a lot of people think it will be dangerous but contrary to their beliefs, you can have a good time and not get in trouble as long as you don't act like an idiot.
Life is always what you make of it; I can have fun on my own, or in large group... it really comes down to the individual. Travelling is not overrated; granted travelling with all the current BS is less than ideal, but I can enjoy both a museum / architecture heavy trip as I can a sporty energetic one, or even just a foodie one, or a music centred one, etc. Also traveling on a dime can be quite challenging; but it does expose you to things you'd never experience when the budget is much less of a concern -- with the experience of both; I certainly prefer the latter.

One's appreciation for history is very much dependent on your age... I never cared much for history in my youth, but it became something I was interested in as I matured -- hence my first trips were about having the typical juvenile concept of fun, whereas my later trips I believe were far more valuable as I took time to get to know the history, the culture including appreciating the food, drink and entertainment. Visiting the same places that I visited when I was young made me realise how much interesting stuff I missed... but when I was young I wouldn't appreciated it.

Middle East is ok; loved the historic aspects of my time there, although the religious BS has sadly destroyed a lot of that, so there is just so many piles of rocks you can look at before you get bored. Nations that preserve their history are IMO far more agreeable places to visit.
FYI I've been to Egypt quite a lot, similarly Middle East -- food was great, but it certainly doesn't rank as one of my top destinations... and not one I would preference over the others today; ...although I do like diving in the Red sea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blantyre

I can see that Contiki are starting to accept pre-bookings. It's always been a life goal of mine to go and experience it once. Their age cut-off is 35 and I'm 26 soon so I still have a bit of time.

Probably best to wait though because we uncertain of what will happen in the next few months.

Johnatan56

I can see that Contiki are starting to accept pre-bookings. It's always been a life goal of mine to go and experience it once. Their age cut-off is 35 and I'm 26 soon so I still have a bit of time.

Probably best to wait though because we uncertain of what will happen in the next few months.
Aside from essentials like flights,
And yet they want to charge 150 EUR for basically stay at a hotel and breakfast, as a larger group. They seem like a bit of a ripoff and selling the lifestyle, would book places directly there and see what I could get (randomly picked Mykonos).

R

[)roi(]

And yet they want to charge 150 EUR for basically stay at a hotel and breakfast, as a larger group. They seem like a bit of a ripoff and selling the lifestyle, would book places directly there and see what I could get (randomly picked Mykonos).
They cater to different price brackets.
It's a good option IMO for first time travellers and/or first time travellers that are not that adventurous; I.e. prefer a preset itinerary.

An alternative is to travel on the cheap via the backpacking route; where you'd also get to meet a lot other backpackers as you travel. Benefit is that your itinerary is your own... Naturally travel is always better if you have a companion, however if you're flexible, you could e.g. always tag along with other backpackers for part of their route.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blantyre

An alternative is to travèl on the cheap via the backpacking route; where you'd also get to meet a lot other backpackers as you travel. Benefit is that your itinerary is your own... Naturally travel is always better if you have a companion, however if you're flexible, you could e.g. always tag along with other backpackers for part of their route.

I'm terrible in terms of orientation and rely heavily on technology to get around. I guess orientation is something that can be improved upon if you put yourself in the deep end though.

Blantyre

Is it just me who thinks travel is a bit overrated at times? There are places I've been to where I have had some of the best experiences of my life, both locally and abroad.

At the same time, there are places I've been to like the Taj Mahal and Victoria Falls which I felt I could have got the same experience of from watching YouTube videos.