Wheelie bin replacement

scudsucker

3rd world problem: someone stole our wheelie bin to live in.

I know I can get a replacement free from the Cape Town municipality, but I was wondering two things:

a) If I buy my own, bright red or yellow one from Plastics for Africa or similar, will the waste removal guys pick it up? Not sure of the weird by-laws around this or where to look... but a different colour will be a deterrent to the average bergie because it will mark them out - both to me, looking for my bin, and other bergies, looking for that bergie.

b) Wheelie bins are solid and waterproof for a reason: water can't get in, rats can't get in. But if I, instead of painting a number on the bin, drill 1cm holes in the shape of a 6 (my house number) on all four sides, the bin will be less attractive to bergies, and rats still can't get in. Is this a good idea or am I not thinking through consequences? Our rubbish does not stink since the kids grew out of nappies, and we recycle/compost/etc, mostly the bin is 1/4 full of dry non-recyclables on waste collection day.

Spizz

I know I can get a replacement free from the Cape Town municipality, but I was wondering two things:

a) If I buy my own, bright red or yellow one from Plastics for Africa or similar, will the waste removal guys pick it up? Not sure of the weird by-laws around this or where to look... but a different colour will be a deterrent to the average bergie because it will mark them out - both to me, looking for my bin, and other bergies, looking for that bergie.

b) Wheelie bins are solid and waterproof for a reason: water can't get in, rats can't get in. But if I, instead of painting a number on the bin, drill 1cm holes in the shape of a 6 (my house number) on all four sides, the bin will be less attractive to bergies, and rats still can't get in. Is this a good idea or am I not thinking through consequences? Our rubbish does not stink since the kids grew out of nappies, and we recycle/compost/etc, mostly the bin is 1/4 full of dry non-recyclables on waste collection day.

I can't imagine the waste removal guys not emptying a different colour bin if it's there with all the other bins in the street or in your normal place. Drilling holes sounds like a good idea too. Stick a couple of random ones on each side as well as the number 6 shape, that "should" keep the bergies from nicking it.

Seldom Bucket

I can't imagine the waste removal guys not emptying a different colour bin if it's there with all the other bins in the street or in your normal place. Drilling holes sounds like a good idea too. Stick a couple of random ones on each side as well as the number 6 shape, that "should" keep the bergies from nicking it.
Just check about the colour, far as I know Black or Green is fine for general household refuse, orange, red and others are used for other things like oil rags, and other items contaminated with things you do not want in land fills or spilled on the road ending up in the drainage system.

Just like in plants where different colours are used to identify certain piping, Green pipe - Potable Water. Red pipe - fire water, yellow-pipe wash water (not potable) or waste water