What streaming music service does everyone use?

Sinbad

Oh cool. But it must be stressful wondering if the phone will automatically update the play store and boom, it’s gone. Happened to me on a 3DS once. Lost the ability to play SNES games on an emulator when the thing updated the firmware on the fly.
The P30 Pro has a perpetual google license, so that won't be an issue.

Sinbad

That’s cool. Joking aside, will your next phone be a Huawei?
To be honest, lack of google is a dealbreaker for me. I know they are big evil, but everything just works so well for what I need.
If GMS comes back, then definitely.

Dave - give me time........... :D

Seldom Bucket

Cancelled Spotify. Seems Spotify has gone more towards podcasts, with their music taking the trunk. Even the PC UI has become terrible, full of "recommended" kak that no-one has any interest in.
Reading on the Spotify forums, this has become a major issue with users and Spotify's response: "We are not planning to work on this anytime soon"

I switched over to Tidal, now they have two options from the usual R60 (HiFi) a month to the R120 (HiFi Plus) a month option.
Originally Tidal had only the Phone app, there is a PC app available, a bit bulky but very similar in UI as with the Spotify App.
But, never really realized how bad the sound quality is on Spotify until the switch to Tidal.
Now, if you are using R100 headphones, well there might not be a big difference between the two options.
Yes, both options does allow offline listening.

Tidal does have a good selection with I think 70million plus songs and an afterthought selection of some Podcasts.

Spizz

I signed up for Apple One family plan about 6 months ago. That gives the 5 of us (all on UK Apple ID's) Music, Arcade, Apple TV+ and 200GB iCloud for 20 GBP a month. Pretty great deal when you think the individual plan is 15 GBP.

Also still have Spotify family and Youtube family. Spotify is used at my wife's restaurant on a Sonos One speaker and Alexa Dots both there and at home. Youtube is mainly for the ad free videos rather than the music but it's of course included.

biometrics

Cancelled Spotify. Seems Spotify has gone more towards podcasts, with their music taking the trunk. Even the PC UI has become terrible, full of "recommended" kak that no-one has any interest in.
Reading on the Spotify forums, this has become a major issue with users and Spotify's response: "We are not planning to work on this anytime soon"

I switched over to Tidal, now they have two options from the usual R60 (HiFi) a month to the R120 (HiFi Plus) a month option.
Originally Tidal had only the Phone app, there is a PC app available, a bit bulky but very similar in UI as with the Spotify App.
But, never really realized how bad the sound quality is on Spotify until the switch to Tidal.
Now, if you are using R100 headphones, well there might not be a big difference between the two options.

Tidal does have a good selection with I think 70million plus songs and an afterthought selection of some Podcasts.
Have you tried Deezer?

Johnatan56

I've used both, that's nonsense. You do know you can up the audio quality that you stream as a premium user btw? I don't notice a difference on my R5k headphones connected via Aux between the services, the only thing that could be is you are listening to a different album recording.

Anything spotify high and up is indistinguishable to FLAC, and for most music genres, normal is also indistinguishable, you'd need to be listening to something like a classical concert to even come close to noticing it, anything else is "Einbildung"/you deluding yourself. And yes, my hearing is pretty good, have full range etc., just got tested two months ago if you want to pull that card.

Spotify's recommendations are based on what you're listening to, listen to stuff you like if you want recommendations that are in that direction. You can also use song radio for songs you like. On the free tier, the recommendations are meh as so rarely generated, that if you're listening to a range, doesn't work well, and you need more than one playlist depending.

The Android app isn't that great, they really need to add gestures in, besides that it's fine/good (unless your phone doesn't have a the Android EQ included, *cough* Nokia *cough*), but desktop is generally fine, there used to be an alternative called XpoMusic, but seems project is abandonware since Sep 2020, stopped using it after Spotify update stopped bugging out.

DA-LION-619

Also find it bloated and extremely annoying with bad quality music?
Nope, there’s no reason for me to switch as I’d lose my recommendations based on 8 years of use.

If you don’t want recommendations or very selective in your music, then the other services are just as good or even better in their content library and sound quality.

The only time I felt Spotify bloated was when they changed their Windows app but that was years ago. Also noticed issues with adaptive streaming but since my playlists are downloaded I turned that feature off.

SauRoN

I signed up for Apple One family plan about 6 months ago. That gives the 5 of us (all on UK Apple ID's) Music, Arcade, Apple TV+ and 200GB iCloud for 20 GBP a month. Pretty great deal when you think the individual plan is 15 GBP.

Also still have Spotify family and Youtube family. Spotify is used at my wife's restaurant on a Sonos One speaker and Alexa Dots both there and at home. Youtube is mainly for the ad free videos rather than the music but it's of course included.

Didn’t Sonos have some update to support Apple Music?

Maybe it needs newer hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spizz

Didn’t Sonos have some update to support Apple Music?

Maybe it needs newer hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not sure, but wife is completely invested in Spotify and won't even look at anything else anyway.

Nicholas

Lately, YouTube. Not their music service per se. I do a search for what I want to listen to. If I like it, I add it to a playlist.