What is the most you would pay for a pair of shoes?

Blantyre

I generally pay between R300-R500 and have noticed that they usually start showing signs of aging and start tearing within a year.

On average, my shoes last 1-2 years before I retire them and donate them.

I was thinking of forking out on a pair which is a bit more but it does not make sense if it will simply tear within a year.

How much do you usually spend?

BloodrayneZA

£35 for a pair of shoes from Clark’s in the UK and it’s been almost 2 years. I’ll admit they have been good shoes for work and I can’t find them again. Typical.

Johnatan56

Well, picked up my last pair at R600 on special end of November (hi-tec), think most I've paid is R1500 for a CAT, but those are my longest lasting shoes (6 years now).
Tried moving from hi-tec to adidas in March, those lasted till about July before becoming uncomfortable/started wearing out, then completely unwearable by November about. Considering that I did less running/walking this year, was a terrible result for a R1200 pair of shoes.

I find shoes I buy in South Africa, "normal" brands last me like 6 months to a year max, hi-tec up to two years depending, and most of the pairs I got in Europe were still fine 2/3 years later, but I spent like 80-100 EUR on those, so they usually are more expensive.

Again, up until Covid hit I averaged about 8000 steps a day if including weekend downtime, so my use case is a bit more than most.

Smuggy

Shoes are just like tires.. Cheap ones don't last.. However now and then one finds good quality at a reasonable price like my Tarzan hiking boots. Made in Tulbach.. (y)

Reactions: Y2K

Papa Smurf

I replace my daily Caterpillar Intruders every 8 years. But the current pair are 3 years old and I will need to replace them in a years time as I also use them for hiking and when you're doing over 30km in a day up and over Table Mountain the shoes take a good beating.

The last pair was R1450

NarrowBandFtw

they usually start showing signs of aging and start tearing within a year
that's not limited to "cheaper" shoes, I've had brand new pairs of New Balance get destroyed in under a year from normal use, I believe in sticking with a brand that works until it disappoints though

so by process of elimination (and actual experience) I now avoid these like the plague:
- New Balance
- Nike
- Adidas
- Reebok
- Bronx
- K-Way
- Old Khaki
- Hi-Tec

and until they disappoint me I'm sticking to:
- Green Cross (for anything smart casual / formal)
-
Caterpillar (for hiking)
-
Skechers (casual shoes)
-
need new flip-flops that'll last actually, my old Hi-Tec's finally died, might go Tsonga

Rudolph Hart

need new flip-flops that'll last actually, my old Hi-Tec's finally died, might go Tsonga
I’ve got a pair of Tsonga flops, and they’re shit. The leather on the insole gets very smooth after a short while, and your foot has no grip on them and they’re a pain. You can’t walk up a gentle slope without your feet slipping all over. Mine aren’t the only ones - I know of at least two other people who’ve had the same problem. The advantage is that they look great and last forever (probably because you only wear them once a year, when you suddenly remember why you don’t wear them).

Tsonga’s other shoes are great, I’ve never heard a complaint about them other than the flops.

shaun108

Usually between R300-600 at most. They last 2 years max (I only wear dinner/formal shoes).

Now I've taken to buying a good pair of John Drakes or such and getting the local showmakler to re-heel and sole them every 2 years.

Papa Smurf

that's not limited to "cheaper" shoes, I've had brand new pairs of New Balance get destroyed in under a year from normal use, I believe in sticking with a brand that works until it disappoints though

so by process of elimination (and actual experience) I now avoid these like the plague:
- New Balance
- Nike
- Adidas
- Reebok
- Bronx
- K-Way
- Old Khaki
- Hi-Tec

and until they disappoint me I'm sticking to:
- Green Cross (for anything smart casual / formal)
-
Caterpillar (for hiking)
-
Skechers (casual shoes)
-
There are some top worldclass brands in your naughty list. Only thing I can think of is your experience was with chinese knock offs. And we will never know. I don't even trust Woolworths or any big company in RSA to know what they're selling. Could be genuine, good be fake. I don't trust Africa at all LOL

emam

My friend just bought these and these
6906d262fc463072fc9f675b1bdaee7f.jpg
da66d5917537d85704dbefc1889e8d99.jpg

biometrics

Bought Caterpillar plakkies for R1,299. My R499 K-Way plakkies only lasted three years. The Caterpillars have a much better sole.

1610896176502.png

Chingha

I've been impressed with the KWay shoes but with the Vibram soles.

I tend to go through shoe soles very quickly, especially the CATS.

These Vibram soled ones are showing hardly any wear at all, very impressed.

I'll he happy to pay R1500 to R1800 to replace these with equivalents

Spizz

My last few purchases over the last couple of years have been have been 2 pairs of Veldskoen for R899 each, a pair of Timberland boots for £120 (about R2400), Nike air trainers for R1200, and I just bought Salomon hiking shoes for R2399 a couple of weeks ago.

EADC

Trick is to have multiple pairs and rotate them makes them last longer currently have a pair Adidas that is 7 years old.

Mostly wear

Under armour trainers
Nike trainers
Puma sneakers
Adidas sneakers
Asics sneakers

Cost between 800 - 1000 each

Seldom Bucket

All my shoes, shirts, shorts, jeans, socks, etc I buy from Johnson's Work wear. They are made to work and last.
Was in Edgars, looked at the jean prices, I could buy two triple stitch jeans at JWW instead of the one stitch at Edgars

Y2K

You should never skimp on things that touch the ground.
  • Shoes
  • Tires
  • Bed (mattress)
In other words, don't skimp on the things that cushion you from the gravitational pull of our planet.

Y2K

I don't buy shoes often but when I do I go for comfort, New Balance seems to fit my feet well as they are on the wider side, Adidas, Nike tend to be very narrow and hurt my feet regardless of the size I take.