What is it with the other obsession for white cars in SA?

biometrics

Just drove past the mall, the road is elevated above it, and once again it struck me how many cars are white, probably 70%.

Is this a SA thing or do you get this in other countries?

Yes, I guess it's cooler in summer and might have a better resale value.

Rudolph Hart

Oddly enough the dirt doesn’t show up as badly on white cars. Mine’s not white, it’s Pearl. But mostly it’s mud.

Düber

It does not seem to be an SA thing( from 2019),

1616870482374.png

A few years ago I listened to a radio interview where they discussed this, and if I remember correctly it was mainly due resale value and being able to keep it looking good, a dirty white car looks better than a slightly dirty red or black.
Car colours also followed trends with private buyers whereas rental companies and fleet buyers would usually stick to white.

Johnatan56

Mainly because white car in warm weather is the reason my family picks white cars.
Do the opposite here, prefer black cars.
I do like gray/silver as well.

scudsucker

I'm probably wrong but I thought the reason was that white is the cheapest colour to produce.

* disclaimer: I own the stereotypical vehicle for my age and racial group, a white Toyota Hilux double-cab bakkie.

Tribs

I have a white car for the first time ever. That is mainly because there was a waiting list for colours and a white car had just arrived in the harbour and had no owner. I could get it immediately (or as soon as they brought it up). I had had red and blue cars before that. There is a form of anonymity driving white.

SauRoN

White usually is cheapest as other colours in many cases have additional costs.

I don’t believe the fallacy of it looking cleaner for longer. A metallic paint car looks cleaner for longer in any colour that isn’t super dark.

Another thing is that rental companies usually go for white and those get resold at low mileage so they add a lot to the total number of white cars.

What I don’t understand is why anyone would buy a silver (and lesser degree a white one) car for safety reasons because they are invisible in mist.

Usually the same idiots driving with their lights off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Papa Smurf

Been like that for decades
Did you only notice now?

White is also a very neutral colour when it comes to selling a car. In some countries a white car is the cheapest to insure as it is more visible than say a black car in the rain at night for example.

Spizz

I'm probably wrong but I thought the reason was that white is the cheapest colour to produce.

* disclaimer: I own the stereotypical vehicle for my age and racial group, a white Toyota Hilux double-cab bakkie.

You're not wrong. Anything other than white and you pay extra. Or at least that's what I've encountered and I've bought 3 new cars over the years.

biometrics

You're not wrong. Anything other than white and you pay extra. Or at least that's what I've encountered and I've bought 3 new cars over the years.
Unless it's a FJ/Land Cruiser then it's all the same price.

Johnatan56

What I don’t understand is why anyone would buy a silver (and lesser degree a white one) car for safety reasons because they are invisible in mist
E.g. CT there's a "misty" day once a year maybe, and I put it in quotes as usually still good enough visibility that you won't get accident as long as everyone actually slows down.

SauRoN

E.g. CT there's a "misty" day once a year maybe, and I put it in quotes as usually still good enough visibility that you won't get accident as long as everyone actually slows down.

Many many weeks of the year are covered in fog.

But this is like saying let’s not mount containers onto trucks properly because they only fall off once a year.

Of course if everyone could just put their bloody lights on as required the colour would be irrelevant, but it’s always these guys with the invisible cars who drive with them off.

It applies to rain as well. Not just fog and mist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Düber

I worked in transport for a short time, and the lack of twist locks on many trailers gives me nightmares
Or they are fitted but not engaged, either because the driver is too lazy or because the deck is so damaged that they can't.

I stay far away from them on the road.