Waterproofing and painting roof

biometrics

I have a leak above my bedroom, I can hear a slow drip onto the ceiling. Got a quote now for R8,700! Does that sound reasonable, seems a bit excessive.

1618222323496.png

Seldom Bucket

Jip, looks about right. Had a roof leak fixed recently, was 10k for one half, Not an entire house roof.
There is a lot of labour going into it. Just be weary of the pressure wash, not always but this can cause more leaks.

biometrics

Jip, looks about right. Had a roof leak fixed recently, was 10k for one half, Not an entire house roof.
There is a lot of labour going into it. Just be weary of the pressure wash, not always but this can cause more leaks.
It's a two story house, so there is no way I'm doing it. I'll ask my handman but I don't think it's his cup of tea.

How many square meters was yours?

The pressure wash is surely required or else you'll just apply paint to dust. In any case they guarantee their work for five years.

The roof looks kak at the moment, must not have seen new paint in 10-20 years (?). So I guess it will look nice and be fixed.

Seldom Bucket

It's a two story house, so there is no way I'm doing it. I'll ask my handman but I don't think it's his cup of tea.

How many square meters was yours?
± 110m²

Best get more than one quote from a few roofing companies. Don't ask your handyman. If a roofing business does it and something goes wrong, they have to fix it.
You do not want to pay for the handyman and then later have to pay again to fix it

biometrics

± 110m²

Best get more than one quote from a few roofing companies. Don't ask your handyman. If a roofing business does it and something goes wrong, they have to fix it.
You do not want to pay for the handyman and then later have to pay again to fix it
This is 96m² so in the same ball park then. These people come recommended.

Just trying to get someone out to do a quote takes weeks, so I don't want to delay, winter is coming...

Seldom Bucket

This is 96m² so in the same ball park then. These people come recommended.

Just trying to get someone out to do a quote takes weeks, so I don't want to delay, winter is coming...
We got a few quotes within a week.
Ask them for a completion date, you don't want them to putter around on your property for days

biometrics

We got a few quotes within a week.
Ask them for a completion date, you don't want them to putter around on your property for days
I've checked with a colleague that had thiers done recently. He also says the price is ok (actually a bit cheaper than they paid), so I'm going to go ahead.

Seldom Bucket

I've checked with a colleague that had thiers done recently. He also says the price is ok (actually a bit cheaper than they paid), so I'm going to go ahead.
Quite a bit cheaper, like said ask for a completion date from the business if they can give you one.

biometrics

Looks legit
R20k
Someone has to pay for that fancy double cab 4x4 of his
Going to split it into roof and walls. Had a lot of unexpected expenses the past few weeks: car window + rust, cat injury, replacing fireplace cowl and now the roof. Will do the walls next month or in June.

The quote for the walls is only 1/3 of the house that faces the sun, the rest is fine. Think the seller of this house in 2018 did a cheap job, bastard.

Papa Smurf

Going to split it into roof and walls. Had a lot of unexpected expenses the past few weeks: car window + rust, cat injury, replacing fireplace cowl and now the roof. Will do the walls next month or in June.

The quote for the walls is only 1/3 of the house that faces the sun, the rest is fine. Think the seller of this house in 2018 did a cheap job, bastard.
Ouch
Joys of owning a house
Never again
So glad I bought an apartment in 2010.
My levies takes care of everything and I never have to worry about unexpected costs

biometrics

Ouch
Joys of owning a house
Never again
So glad I bought an apartment in 2010.
My levies rakes care of everything and I never have to worry about unexpected costs
I'm looking at getting a flat in Melkbos, rates and levies is around R2,500 a month, not insignificant.

Haven't you ever had special levies?

Papa Smurf

I'm looking at getting a flat in Melkbos, rates and levies is around R2,500 a month, not insignificant.

Haven't you ever had special levies?
My levies is R1050 and my municipal bill each month is R220.
That takes care of my apartment on the outside, geyser inside, water, sewage, refuse, building insurance, armed response etc.

After owning a freestanding house from 2000 to 2010 I vowed never again

biometrics

My levies is R1050 and my municipal bill each month is R220.
That takes care of my apartment on the outside, geyser inside, water, sewage, refuse, building insurance, armed response etc.

After owning a freestanding house from 2000 to 2010 I vowed never again
I don't want to live in a flat. I like living in a house. I am well aware there is always something that needs attention, part and parcel of owning a house.

biometrics

You can't do forging in a flat, or work on a project car...
I'm getting a flat in Melkbos for when I go for meetings in Cape Town or the odd weekend away from home. For that a flat, a so called lock up and go, is a must. No ways can I maintain two houses, just not worth the effort.