Vodacom unveils first 5G deals – 800GB (400+400) for R1 499

biometrics

Vodacom has unveiled its first fixed-wireless broadband plans using its newly launched 5G network. One plan offers 800GB of data for R1 499/month.

The plans, which include a router, start at R899/month for 100GB of data (plus 100GB late-night data) on a 24-month contract. That option includes a Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway router.

The prices go up from there, with a 400GB (plus 400GB late-night data) plan with a Huawei 5G CPE Pro router costing R1 799/month on a 24-month contract, or R1 499/month on a 36-month contract.

Tsepz_GP

Would be interesting to see how reliable the network is with those prices, lol. Who is willing to be the guinea pig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tribs

That is darn expensive !!! We have unlimited with Rain and for about a grand. Granted - we have connection issues currently - but there are times it is good.

biometrics

That is darn expensive !!! We have unlimited with Rain and for about a grand. Granted - we have connection issues currently - but there are times it is good.
Rain was good but went to shit for me. The Vodacom 5G pricing is similar to Telkom LTE which I’m using. So if 5G becomes available here I’d consider it. Six months left on my contract.

I’m on the 200+200 deal.

Reactions: Y2K

Tribs

Rain was good but went to shit for me. The Vodacom 5G pricing is similar to Telkom LTE which I’m using. So if 5G becomes available here I’d consider it. Six months left on my contract.

I’m on the 200+200 deal.
Ours works some of the time - we have an ongoing battle with Rain. When it works - it is lighting fast. But still hoping fibre will come into the area.

biometrics

Ours works some of the time - we have an ongoing battle with Rain. When it works - it is lighting fast. But still hoping fibre will come into the area.
I don’t have DSL or fiber in my suburb. Don’t expect to see it for a few years.

• Wow
Reactions: Y2K

powermzii

I’m on the 200+200 deal.
Been using rain 5G for 2 months now and it's been brilliant. Consistent 120-220Mbps and we've been fortunate to not get constant disconnects - so for work online calls it's been good. We are 600m from the tower and the CPE is indoors. I probably would get 300-500 if I placed it outside.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

Y2K

The only thing I'm able to use rain for at the moment is downloads from 11pm - 6pm, I have a Linux server that downloads all my Linux distros via real Debrid, currently doing about 30GB a night which was comparable to my 10Mbps adsl line I used to have.

During the day I'm lucky if we get above 1Mbps, yes I've done everything short of buying an external antenna, yep this lockdown is stopping us from moving and having glorious fibre but I'm not prepared to invest any money when the ISP has done nothing to assist their existing customer base. I'll just wait it out. Octotel is ready and waiting to install the line, I've signed all the documentation but asked them to hold off till we move in.

Tribs

My Rain 5G is much better than it was. It is fast and stable and around 1k a month unlimited and unthrottled. No shaping.
Ping: 26ms
Download: 258.03Mbps
Upload: 22.43Mbps
It changes depending on the test I use

Last edited:

powermzii

My Rain 5G is much better than it was. It is fast and stable and around 1k a month unlimited and unthrottled. No shaping.
Ping: 26ms
Download: 258.03Mbps
Upload: 22.43Mbps
It changes depending on the test I use
Is your router inside or outside? And roughly how far are you from the tower? I get slightly lower speeds but equally decent service

Sent using Tapatalk

Tribs

Is your router inside or outside? And roughly how far are you from the tower? I get slightly lower speeds but equally decent service

Sent using Tapatalk
Inside - about a meter from me. On the window sill. Tower is less than a 1km away