Virtual Reality Things

Johnatan56

1656355009950.png
Of course that will be with a ton of mods, so need a new PC for it.
1656355050772.png
Picked them up with the summer sale, going to need to wait until I get a better PC.
Just busy drawing up a budget, will probably get a new PC next month if everything works out, just budgeting for more furniture and holidays.

Spizz

FML

View attachment 33343

So this happened last night and I nearly pooped my pants.

Why do I keep doing this to myself? On a discord call I was so shaken up I couldn't point the controller to the save button while my friends laugh at me on discord. :/ I'd like to see them try fucken dicks.
My son and his pal are playing Five nights at Freddie’s VR just now. Hilarious hearing the occasional argghhh’s and shiiittttt coming from the room 🤣

Nicholas

FYI:

Moosedrool

FYI:

Meh tried it long ago. Not enough players. And yes VRChat got massive backlash for implementing EAC.

Johnatan56

FYI:

The CEO and CTO had a huge falling out, they had a crypto coin that was hyped up and then crashed, CEO wants to focus on the coin, CTO wants to focus on the product. Going to be interesting to see where they go (and imho they have a better app than VR Chat, just less users).

Johnatan56

Absolutely loving Bonelabs:

Picked up sparky at the beginning, going on for quite a while, really good weapon as well:
1664660262180.png
1664660320809.png
1664660292783.png
Sparky is deadly

Moosedrool

Practising on some random DJ VR Thing. Since I'm faffing around classic trance again, why not start with Darude Sandstorm? XD

biometrics

Practising on some random DJ VR Thing. Since I'm faffing around classic trance again, why not start with Darude Sandstorm? XD

How's the whole VR thing going? Still popular? Improvements on the experience (nausea?)? More stuff to do? Meta bailing? Apple?

Moosedrool

How's the whole VR thing going? Still popular? Improvements on the experience (nausea?)? More stuff to do? Meta bailing? Apple?

Pretty much. Meta is rubbish. Improvements relates to system performance. Movement nausea will go away within a few weeks on VRC and only comes back at low fps. This is for anyone we've noticed.

Some cool releases as well. Including the source VR mod team who took all the HL2 games and made them VR. They're doing black mesa now.

Johnatan56

He’s the only one I know actively using it. You still?
Yes, actively use it, average once a week currently due to space issues and being ill recently, will start playing more again in the next month.
How's the whole VR thing going? Still popular?
Generally yes, and in my environment I have noticed more people getting a headset. It's more that people use it less overall, but more use it, and then do one co-op experience. Lack of good new titles is a serious issue though, though have seen a lot playing Ghosts of Tabor (basically VR Tarkov).
Improvements on the experience (nausea?)?
Completely fine for me, low fps/frame drops as an issue has also gotten less of an issue due to frame interpolation (basically guessing frames to double the frame rate, e.g. 45 -> 90) if low frame rate if playing on a headset like the Quest.

People who are nauseous within a minute of putting on the headset, wouldn't have them play, anyone after 10-15 minutes can get used to it, just a case of playing in moderation, and the right types of games (first 1:1, no movement around, and your movement matches game movement, then something like beat saber or pistol whip, where you stand still and world comes to you, and then after that ones where you move using left controller).
More stuff to do?
Content is still an issue, but tbh, there is "enough" now that there's always something to play, games like Contractors/Pavlov/VR Chat have a ton of community content to explore. VR Chat I am mostly using for escape sims, Pavlov/Contractors for Halo, and Nazi Zombies.

Right now my titles I am going through are:
Staple:
Pistol Whip, Eleven Table Tennis, Contractors (mods, built into the game).
Playing through:
Red matter, bonelab (mostly mods).
Meta bailing?
Not really bailing, it was just them failing on meta verse, hasn't really impacted anything.
That's going to be dev stuff (rumored price is $3k), only thing that will do is hopefully bring more interest in the platform, not going to affect normal consumer for a few years.
Meta is rubbish. Improvements relates to system performance
Moose uses an index I think, so he doesn't know the improvements on Quest.

Quest's been getting a lot of improvements, still now. Things like:
(March 2022) ASW (frame interpolation headset side): https://mixed-news.com/en/meta-quest-2-next-update-brings-new-pc-vr-feature/ (synchronous / SSW on virutal desktop) though that's a bit ago.
Recording can now be set to 1080p / both lenses, can also have headset apps update via phone if on, and also set to auto update when I shutdown. Also have media sync so recording on headset syncs to phone; can also have phone notifications pop up on headset (this is a hit or miss for me with telegram, works fine for other apps, basically like pushing notifications to my watch is its reliability). Hand tracking has noticeably improved, guardian system on beta I can bring in things like table/couch, so nice for break while keeping headset on and still chatting with friend. Will be interesting to see what else they bring, think next larger stuff will be new hardware instead (quest 3 expected end of year, focus will be on pass through).

Meta is dropping Quest 1 support, so they'll hopefully finally have apps with better quality on the headset direct now. Was understandable to force backwards compatibility for a while, but they should have set an end date earlier while still keeping quest 1 support (quest 1 will still work wired / apps that are on it, including wireless streaming, just party grouping/social features don't; support drop has a large chance of being due to the SD835 in it, from 2017, QC is notoriously bad for support).

If on an Index / direct on PC, your improvements are mostly if PC improves. There have been changes like allowing you to not launch Steam Home, which supposedly can actually be quite an improvement on lower end hardware. Otherwise not much has/will change there, just how much devs optimize their game, and what settings you set it at.

Johnatan56

So what's the best experience for the price atm?
Quest 2 or Pico 4*, imho would go the quest route since would rather sell data to Meta than Pico (Chinese).

Quest 3 should launch end of year (probably announce connect 23 / purchase Nov 23), pancake lenses so sweet spot will be larger (area where properly sharp, right now only center is so can read text there, outer sides are a bit blurry, but it's fine in gaming/won't notice; pancake lenses are wider, lighter and thinner, that's the Pico's advantage atm, tracking on the Pico is worse (especially when out of view of camera, Meta has pretty good algorithms/software to handle this so near never notice it)), higher resolution, and probably a bit better FoV, and definitely an upgraded SoC (not that important if streaming from PC, but WiFi 6E support will mean better bandwidth support). No clue as to price yet though, would expect $400-500 range.

Would not go Index route just since base stations, and cabled.

EDIT:
Astrophotography, might be worth going OLED due to blacks, but there's nothing cheap there, only affordable one really is PSVR2 and that's not going to work with astrophotography since they won't port to PS. Probably the HP Reverb G2:
Just note controllers are worse, and forced to be wired, outside of better focus/blacks, Quest 2 is better.

So go Reverb if:
- Media consumption like movies, google earth, YouTube VR
- Games that are seated, e.g. VTOL VR

else Quest if:
- any games with more movement, since way better tracking/controllers, and no wire
- you have a weaker PC (lower resolution, ASW/SSW assistance)

Last edited:

Moosedrool

Yes, actively use it, average once a week currently due to space issues and being ill recently, will start playing more again in the next month.

Generally yes, and in my environment I have noticed more people getting a headset. It's more that people use it less overall, but more use it, and then do one co-op experience. Lack of good new titles is a serious issue though, though have seen a lot playing Ghosts of Tabor (basically VR Tarkov).

Completely fine for me, low fps/frame drops as an issue has also gotten less of an issue due to frame interpolation (basically guessing frames to double the frame rate, e.g. 45 -> 90) if low frame rate if playing on a headset like the Quest.

People who are nauseous within a minute of putting on the headset, wouldn't have them play, anyone after 10-15 minutes can get used to it, just a case of playing in moderation, and the right types of games (first 1:1, no movement around, and your movement matches game movement, then something like beat saber or pistol whip, where you stand still and world comes to you, and then after that ones where you move using left controller).

Content is still an issue, but tbh, there is "enough" now that there's always something to play, games like Contractors/Pavlov/VR Chat have a ton of community content to explore. VR Chat I am mostly using for escape sims, Pavlov/Contractors for Halo, and Nazi Zombies.

Right now my titles I am going through are:
Staple:
Pistol Whip, Eleven Table Tennis, Contractors (mods, built into the game).
Playing through:
Red matter, bonelab (mostly mods).

Not really bailing, it was just them failing on meta verse, hasn't really impacted anything.

That's going to be dev stuff (rumored price is $3k), only thing that will do is hopefully bring more interest in the platform, not going to affect normal consumer for a few years.

Moose uses an index I think, so he doesn't know the improvements on Quest.

Quest's been getting a lot of improvements, still now. Things like:
(March 2022) ASW (frame interpolation headset side): https://mixed-news.com/en/meta-quest-2-next-update-brings-new-pc-vr-feature/ (synchronous / SSW on virutal desktop) though that's a bit ago.
Recording can now be set to 1080p / both lenses, can also have headset apps update via phone if on, and also set to auto update when I shutdown. Also have media sync so recording on headset syncs to phone; can also have phone notifications pop up on headset (this is a hit or miss for me with telegram, works fine for other apps, basically like pushing notifications to my watch is its reliability). Hand tracking has noticeably improved, guardian system on beta I can bring in things like table/couch, so nice for break while keeping headset on and still chatting with friend. Will be interesting to see what else they bring, think next larger stuff will be new hardware instead (quest 3 expected end of year, focus will be on pass through).

Meta is dropping Quest 1 support, so they'll hopefully finally have apps with better quality on the headset direct now. Was understandable to force backwards compatibility for a while, but they should have set an end date earlier while still keeping quest 1 support (quest 1 will still work wired / apps that are on it, including wireless streaming, just party grouping/social features don't; support drop has a large chance of being due to the SD835 in it, from 2017, QC is notoriously bad for support).

If on an Index / direct on PC, your improvements are mostly if PC improves. There have been changes like allowing you to not launch Steam Home, which supposedly can actually be quite an improvement on lower end hardware. Otherwise not much has/will change there, just how much devs optimize their game, and what settings you set it at.

I'm not talking of the headset I'm talking about meta's horizons and workspaces or whatever.