Vienna ranked top quality of life but worst for making friends - 2021

Johnatan56

Agree and not agree, would say it's difficult to make friends if you don't speak German, it's kind of a lot like Cape Town in terms of everyone lives in a bubble and doesn't talk outside of it, and if you don't speak German it's difficult to make small jokes to try and get a conversation going.

Also the bearuocrats are really not nice people if they think you're foreign, had two bad run ins that instantly swapped around once I actually spoke and have a definitely speaks German as mother tongue accent.

Where I live, this small piece is completely German/Austrian besides 3 apartments in a 38 apartment building, and those are decent/nice, think similar for all buildings close to me as all private.

Move a few buildings away and you get turk, but like been here ten years and mostly integrated turk, then a few further and you get fully integrated Syrians from 2005/06 or so, their kids' accents are funny, some have a Viennese 15th accent, but random words are completely the wrong accent again, lol. Then going further up the other road, have some Egyptians there. It's really nice how multicultural but harmonious it is.

Because the min income is around 1500, and sure you get the ultra rich and stuff, but even City housing has upper middle class income in it, it makes it so there isn't this divide between have and have not, helps a lot imho in terms of integration, and public transit is 1 EUR a day and within City furthest you get from public transit is like a 5 min walk if you live in the wine district or something.

Reddit thread has some comments about how not enough green, kind of agree for city center/old city, but it is shifting quite rapidly, like my street is full tree boulevard, etc.

And also cycling infrastructure could be a bit better, agree and disagree since depends on where, you can cycle no issue entire city, just dedicated lanes are rare because of space constraints. Focus is public transit, then car, then bike right now, should be public transit, bike then car, but you'll have too many areas without cars then and Austrians like their cars too much, mostly because going out of the city public transit outside of the train lines starts falling off a cliff in many areas.

Sinbad

Goes to show, you don't need friends to have a good life :D

jasong

My aunt and uncle lived in Vienna around 20 years ago. I spent a summer with them. Such an incredibly beautiful city. I loved cycling the route along the Danube.