Ubuntu-based Linux Lite 5.0 'Emerald' is here to replace Microsoft Windows on your PC

Seldom Bucket

Windows 7 and Windows 10 aren't bad operating systems. In fact, they are both quite good. With that said, the newest version of Windows 10 has many bugs. Unfortunately, since Windows 7 is no longer supported, some of its users are stuck in a conundrum. They have to decide whether to use an unsupported Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10 that is full of telemetry and other "spying" that passes their information to Microsoft's servers.

Thankfully, there is another option -- switch to Linux. Yes, modern Linux-based operating systems will be supported (unlike the now-obsolete Windows 7) and most will run great on aging hardware (unlike Windows 10). Linux Lite is one of the best Linux distributions for Windows-switchers, as it is lightweight, modern, and familiar.

Today, Linux Lite 5.0 "Emerald" becomes available, and it is based on the bleeding-edge Ubuntu 20.04. It even comes with modern software, such as Linux kernel 5.4.0-33, LibreOffice 6.4.3.2, Gimp 2.10.18, Thunderbird 68.8.0, Firefox 76.0.1, and VLC 3.0.9.2.

OCP

That's a bit claikbaity don't you think?

For your average home user who has no windows application dependencies it might be an option but for the majority of users they are stuck on Windows until their apps are web-based and OS agnostic.

Don;t get me wrong - I love Linux; have been using/supporting it for years (most of my clients have CentOS servers / pfSense firewalls) and there are many distro's which could replace Windows but a bold statement like this article is simply misleading and wishful thinking.

SauRoN

For your average home user who has no windows application dependencies it might be an option but for the majority of users they are stuck on Windows until their apps are web-based and OS agnostic.

Don;t get me wrong - I love Linux; have been using/supporting it for years (most of my clients have CentOS servers / pfSense firewalls) and there are many distro's which could replace Windows but a bold statement like this article is simply misleading and wishful thinking.

Yeah about the only *nix flavour that really has the capacity to legitimately replace windows as a consumer desktop OS is MacOS.

And even that is a long shot from perfect for the average person who is set in their ways and dedicated to particular applications.

Sent from my iPhone

Dave

Actually very clickbaity, there's no way anyone with Win programs would move (I mean there's no real substitute for Photoshop or Lightroom, Gimp is just gimped).

I also think the paranoid "Windows 10 that is full of telemetry and other "spying" that passes their information to Microsoft's servers" is OTT and not all that different from what Google does.

Some people just like drama...

Y2K

Actually very clickbaity, there's no way anyone with Win programs would move (I mean there's no real substitute for Photoshop or Lightroom, Gimp is just gimped).

I also think the paranoid "Windows 10 that is full of telemetry and other "spying" that passes their information to Microsoft's servers" is OTT and not all that different from what Google does.

Some people just like drama...
At the end of the day it doesn't matter, information is like water, somehow it will always find a way to leak.
Something I came to realise is that Linux is great as a server OS it's rock solid, the customisation is on another level and frankly I would prefer to use it over Windows. Having said that there is still a tone of work to do, at the moment I am running Mankato but will most likely switch back to Windows as I need Adobe products for class and virtualbox will not cut it. My paranoia sometimes gets the better of me and I have to end up nuking my Windows install which cannot be good for the SSD but meh, so I was puffing some herb and I realised that if a company as big as Microsoft/Google/Apple or the various goverment agencies around the world cared enough to look into you they'd probably be able to do it without you knowing, yes I know I think quite highly of myself in this sense but that's schizo talking not me🙄. Anyways I'm out.

spiderz

Windows is only good to play games on.
Once all the games can run on Linux ... there will be no need for Windows anymore, It does everything else much better! 😁

Urist

but I use windows for stuff
sometimes you have to jump through hoops to do stuff on linux, yeah you can do it, but all you need to do is type this weird thing in the shell and then write some drivers for your hardware.

Bryn

That Emerald screenshot looks pretty janky. I don't want to go back in time thanks.

Windows 10 is a perfectly fine operating system. I've been using it almost all day, every day since its public release and had no instability issues. And who cares if basic telemetry is sent back to Microsoft? How on Earth is any company supposed to improve their product without any understanding of how their users are currently using it? If you're not a human trafficker or paedophile you should have nothing to stress about. Maybe this is why macOS Catalina is such a horror show, if Apple doesn't have nearly enough user data.

Most paid software only has apps for Windows and Mac. Linux gaming is not going to be nearly enough to make Windows redundant, even if there are some really great distros available.

SauRoN

Windows is only good to play games on.
Once all the games can run on Linux ... there will be no need for Windows anymore, It does everything else much better!

There’s already no need...we’ve had consoles for decades.

Sent from my iPhone