The Whisk(e)y Thread

flarkitus

Got caught without a dram during the 1st 3-wk lockdown. So I ordered a bottle of Glen Grant 10yr old from a delivery service.

Once the places reopened, I gradually built up the supplies:
  • Tullamore Dew
  • Bushmills
  • 2x Three Ships 10yr old
  • 3x Glenmorangie Lasanta

Should tide us over for the foreseeable future

Makro pricing was very good just before the latest ban, so I'll probably add something after we're unbanned.

powermzii

Really enjoying this one at the moment....
6519756ed488aa88c4883e8e9adfcaaf.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

satanboy

satanboy

1598428651247.png
Akashi Red is made at the Eigashima (aka White Oak) distillery, which was founded in 1888. Produced by Akashi, this is a light and fruity whisky with notes of peach, almond and grape.
500ml
Makro: R199
Takealot: R259

Can't vouch for this as I've never tried it. Seems very cheap.

satanboy

1598428895727.png
MastersofMalt: Bushmills Black Bush features a lot of sherried malt in its recipe, alongside classically caramel-y grain whiskey. Suitable for enjoying neat, but it can also be used in whiskey cocktails that call for dark fruit sweetness

satanboy: My tastes change all the time. Currently this is my favourite everyday drink.

Takealot: R345

satanboy

Ok, where is my hat? I need to eat it.

I purchased a bottle of VAT69. Wow! I've tasted whiskies at double the price that isn't half as good. Shocked.

spiderz

Ok, where is my hat? I need to eat it.

I purchased a bottle of VAT69. Wow! I've tasted whiskies at double the price that isn't half as good. Shocked.
Did you drink it neat or with a mix?

Rudolph Hart

I’m a bit of a peasant, no single malt here. Just a glass of Chivas on ice as I wind the day down.

satanboy

1600849055180.png
Nikka From The Barrel Bottling Note - www.masterofmalt.com/
The award-winning Nikka Whisky From The Barrel blend is absolutely full of flavour. Bottled at 51.4% ABV. The blend combines both single malt and grain whiskies from the Miyagikyo and Yoichi distilleries, which are then married in a huge variety of casks, including bourbon barrels, sherry butts and refill hogsheads. A huge depth of flavour in this stunning Japanese whisky. We can't recommend this enough.

Me: It has a very strong wood flavour, almost overpowering. I could almost taste the different rings. Less subtle than The Pogues. I love it in a weird way. I paid +/-R400 for this 500ml bottle, it is now R779 at Makro (out of stock).

powermzii

View attachment 7237
Nikka From The Barrel Bottling Note - www.masterofmalt.com/
The award-winning Nikka Whisky From The Barrel blend is absolutely full of flavour. Bottled at 51.4% ABV. The blend combines both single malt and grain whiskies from the Miyagikyo and Yoichi distilleries, which are then married in a huge variety of casks, including bourbon barrels, sherry butts and refill hogsheads. A huge depth of flavour in this stunning Japanese whisky. We can't recommend this enough.

Me: It has a very strong wood flavour, almost overpowering. I could almost taste the different rings. Less subtle than The Pogues. I love it in a weird way. I paid +/-R400 for this 500ml bottle, it is now R779 at Makro (out of stock).
The Nikka are getting more rare as they stopped these bottlings. They have released new expressions

Sent using Tapatalk

Spizz

Checkers has become *the* place to buy whisky. Lots of good deals and the orange card thing gives some nice discounts.

But alas my quota for the month is done, I spend over R2k yesterday on 3 bottles.