The weight loss/gain thread

biometrics

Fitchef order placed, 10kg to go... Did well first six months of last year and did 17kg, so going to try get this done in three months. Maintaining isn't difficult so just need to get to the destination.

Seldom Bucket

WeightLoss/Gain
1277.6-6.15
17 (17.06)75.4-2.2
1874.65-0.75
1974.6-0.05
22 (15.07/Thurs)73.6-1.00
2372.0-1.6
26 (11.08.21/thurs)70.0-2.0
07.09.2169.3-0.7
13.09.2168.75-0.55
20.09.2166.95-1.8
18.11.2165.5-3.05
11.01.2163.0-2.5
Total-22.35

Sinbad

OK, starting again. Ffs.

Spoke to a doctor today about possible sleep apnea. He recommended I read a book called "the obesity code" by Dr Fung for info about losing weight.

Makes a real change from the normal low fat crap the medical community normally spews.

Tribs

Ok this is a long post. I need to write it - you don't need to read it.

Ok well I did not do so well last time. This working long hours and sitting all day, is really not good. So I have taken a good look at myself and the reasons I keep failing. And my head is the problem. I know what I need to do. I understand which foods are "good" and which are "bad". I still eat the bad ones. For about a year now I have seen an app called Noom advertised. I am very suspicious of paid apps but I thought I would check it out as I was just getting worse and worse.

It is less about food and more about the psychology around how we eat and what we eat. It goes into our relationship with eating and gives you the tools to make better choices. I don't do well when left to my own devices and this app rewards you for being consistent - logging your weight daily - listing your meals and snacks - tracking your steps and activity - how much water you are drinking - etc. There are quizzes and tests and games to help you identify which colour list items belong to. The whole idea is that no food is bad. No food is illegal. There are three lists. Green, yellow and red. Green is your preferred list, with highest volume to calories. Yes - this whole plan works on calories in and calories out. They calculate what your body needs and you eat just a little bit less than that. They talk about guides and mentors but thankfully I have not dealt with a real person yet. They do have psychologists you can sign up to work with but I don't need that yet (and probably won't). Yes it does cost money to do this program but 14 days are free. I just signed up for 9 months. That is what they calculate it will take me to get to a weight most people consider fat :p:D But I plan to be down a lot more than their realistic goal. But even their goal would be so much better than where I am now.

I am too embarrassed to mention my actual weight - just know I am heavier than all of you. I started last Monday morning 4 July 2022. In the first 8 days I have lost 4 kgs. This is more than they predicted but I am not sure if it will continue like this. It took me 30 years to get to this size, I am ok with it taking a while for me to lose it (not 30 years though). Hoping it won't be more than 2. I have not been hungry and I don't usually manage to eat my required calories. I did have a small mug of ice cream last week and I have several glasses of whiskey a day (those have calories too). You just take them from what you are allowed.

I do find that I am making smarter choices rather than grilling cheese on bread smothered with jalapenos, I will have a tuna and jalapeno sandwich (whole grain bread is on the green list). I am not a vegetarian anymore but tend to feel better eating only chicken and fish. I still pretty much eat a vegetarian diet as I added the meat for health reasons (my muscles were deteriorating after covid). Though I must say I do enjoy it. I am now grateful for the food I am eating rather than just eating it. Something about being present in the moment and not eating mindlessly while watching Youtube.

Ok that was a lot more than I intended. :oops:

Tribs

Down another. My son, who also needs to lose weight, has just been eating the meals we eat and not been actively following the program - has lost weight too.

biometrics

I did so well last year (17 down). Have gained lots this year (8 up) so will be getting back on track soonish, might wait until after the move in 6 weeks. I considered noom but didn’t feel like paying, once I’m in the right state of mind I do fine by myself though.

Rudolph Hart

I am too embarrassed to mention my actual weight - just know I am heavier than all of you.
Not all of us have said what we weigh 😉 - I tend to just keep quite when that comes up, for much the same reason you mentioned.

Well done on finding something that works for you, long may it last.

Tribs

Not all of us have said what we weigh 😉 - I tend to just keep quite when that comes up, for much the same reason you mentioned.

Well done on finding something that works for you, long may it last.
I hope it does too - I have let myself down more times than you can count. But this time I have set goals - a big picture. There are things I want to do before I die - and they cannot be done the size I am now.

Tribs

Any of you have the problem where you don't trust what the scale is showing you? According to it, I have now lost 16kgs since the beginning of the program. It blows my mind. I started this on 4th July (133)- so in 3 weeks I have lost 16kgs (116.4). That really doesn't sound right.
So - I put new batteries in the scale and it still says the same thing. And if I had not seen it coming down - I would not have believed I was where I started. So perhaps it comes down to the huge amount I need to lose - perhaps that makes it easier in the beginning. Also, I eat fish and chicken a few times a week - perhaps the protein is helping too. And I do know the app itself helps with the psychological tips and bits of information. It has helped me understand my relationship with food and I am learning to change it. The fact that I have to log everything, means I think about what I am about to eat. And as no food is illegal - you just know you have to compensate for the chocolate or whisky or cheese. And perhaps it is the change in perspective about myself - the fact that I feel I matter now (well some of the time), that I am careful what I do to my body.

I still don't believe it - but the scale says so - so I am going with it for now.

biometrics

Any of you have the problem where you don't trust what the scale is showing you? According to it, I have now lost 16kgs since the beginning of the program. It blows my mind. I started this on 4th July (133)- so in 3 weeks I have lost 16kgs (116.4). That really doesn't sound right.
So - I put new batteries in the scale and it still says the same thing. And if I had not seen it coming down - I would not have believed I was where I started. So perhaps it comes down to the huge amount I need to lose - perhaps that makes it easier in the beginning. Also, I eat fish and chicken a few times a week - perhaps the protein is helping too. And I do know the app itself helps with the psychological tips and bits of information. It has helped me understand my relationship with food and I am learning to change it. The fact that I have to log everything, means I think about what I am about to eat. And as no food is illegal - you just know you have to compensate for the chocolate or whisky or cheese. And perhaps it is the change in perspective about myself - the fact that I feel I matter now (well some of the time), that I am careful what I do to my body.

I still don't believe it - but the scale says so - so I am going with it for now.
The initial weight loss seems to be faster. It slows down as you approach your target. I experience the same, it’s a great confidence boost just when you need it.

Tribs

The initial weight loss seems to be faster. It slows down as you approach your target. I experience the same, it’s a great confidence boost just when you need it.
Yes I can imagine losing in the beginning is, as it is easier to do things differently than when you have been doing them for a while - and need to find some way to get through the plateaus

biometrics

Starting again. Undid all the success of last year and picked it all up again this year. Selling, buying (and having the first set of transactions fail) and moving house long distance is very stresful. Banks don’t help by treating you like a criminal. So ja, let myself go with booze, junk food and no exercise.

This time it’s going to be a two parter, starting at 111 and aiming for 99 this year. Then take a xmas break, but each bottle of wine = a 10km hike. Then do the second part from 99 to sub 90 in the new year. This worked well for me in 2010 when I went from 106 to 89.

So, checking in, week 0 at 111.2kg.

Last edited:

Spizz

Sounds like my story Bio, let it go this year but gave myself a good kick in the arse over the weekend. So from yesterday morning…

Week 0. 103.4kg