The Humble Brilliance of Italy's Moka Coffee Pot

SlinkyMike

I really enjoyed this article. Despite having a very fancy espresso machine I must admit that at times we will choose the Moka Pot over the espresso machine. It is as demanding of the user as what a semi-auto espresso machine is which lends to similar levels of satisfaction in the cup IMO.

Johnatan56

I have an "automatic" one, you hook it up and it turns itself off:

Pretty happy with it, since I can forget about it and not have an issue, I've destroyed a Moka pot before by forgetting it on the stove (the rubber seals melting is not a nice smell, and it's near impossible to replace it economically).

That electric moka pot probably also uses less power, since not turning on entire stove top and wasting electricity.

SykomantiS

I have a moka pot. Haven't used it in a while. And now I'm in the mood to do exactly that.
Having read the article, are there any special techniques one can use? They mention techniques, but not which techniques or how to.

RedViking

I am borrowing a friend's Bialetti Venus 2 Cup. Makes a good cup although I still need a lot of practice to get the timing right.

scudsucker

Thank god for hipsters. Back in 1999 I needed a new rubber seal for my mocha pot, but had to wait until 2003 before I could get one in England (while on holiday).

These days every hipster coffee shop has them.

scudsucker

Our Moka pot goes to festivals and is used when we have loadshedding.
I have a 4-cup, and it is the only extra weight I am willing to take on a hiking trip (its pretty heavy) ... but the joy of really good coffee at dawn, beside a river and before a long hike deep in the mountains makes it worthwhile.

Well, that and a slug of single malt whisky which is how I motivate myself to get out of the sleeping bag and start making the coffee...