The Chat Room

Dave

If I'm a grandma then you must be what, 12?
Isn't there an age restriction on this forum?
Not that I have anything against kids; I just think they should play with each other and stay away from adults as much as possible.
You don't have to be old to realize that there's absolutely zero good mainstream music today.
But, it does take a certain amount of music integrity to be able to appreciate music that isn't quite your taste, but is of a high standard nonetheless.
But kids generally don't understand that.

😉

81DD4EA1-3C1B-4D49-8812-59A91C50CADF.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicholas

Whether you like them or not, they wrote incredibly melodic and clever songs, just like The Beatles, Roxette, Depeche Mode and a shit load of other pop bands from the 70's and 80's.
Theres nothing even close to that today and that's why I keep searching back in time to find all the good stuff.
That said, I'm a metal head and prefer Slayer, Pantera, Overkill, Maiden, Anthrax, Sepultura, Priest, Motorhead, Sabbath and of course my faves, Megadeth. Even the modern metal bands are just rehashing what those bands did.
As a musician I can appreciate the melodic structure and compositional skill of ABBA because no matter what, a good song is a good song.
And they have LOADS of good songs.
No worries. We all have our likes and dislikes.
I haven't listened to any of the bands you have mentioned, and don't what genre of metal they work in, so I can't say for sure whether I would enjoy them unless I knew that they produced death metal, which I have tried and not liked the sound of. All done to personal taste, often subjective, and not worth launching the nukes for. :p

I have seen several people on Youtube echo what you say about the way they, and other older bands, wrote their music, though I don't have a background in music, so I can't understand what they are saying. If it sounds good to me, if it moves, I like it and will listen to it more than once.

Düber

It's fine. Most old people agree with you.
I have a very eclectic taste in music, so on the USB in the car there is everything from Mozart to Rammstein and everything in between. Strangely when an ABBA song comes up both my girls wont let me skip it and they sing along knowing all the words.

Jings

I have a very eclectic taste in music, so on the USB in the car there is everything from Mozart to Rammstein and everything in between. Strangely when an ABBA song comes up both my girls wont let me skip it and they sing along knowing all the words.
ABBA's tunes are catchy and easy to sing along. Many of the songs draw interaction from listeners.
Queen was another insanely famous band creating songs with audience participation in mind.

Düber

Queen was another insanely famous band creating songs with audience participation in mind.
Funny enough Queen isn't as popular with them as I perhaps thought, the major hits yes but mostly I get told it "sounds old". Then Simon and Garfunkel come on and they are humming along again.
:sneaky: Music is a strange thing.

Jings

Funny enough Queen isn't as popular with them as I perhaps thought, the major hits yes but mostly I get told it "sounds old". Then Simon and Garfunkel come on and they are humming along again.
:sneaky: Music is a strange thing.

That really is strange. Maybe rock sounds old to them.

Düber

That really is strange. Maybe rock sounds old to them.
Another strange hit was Boney M.

Just as an aside, I got into big trouble when my wife found out that my youngest, she was about 6 at the time, knew "She Fucken hates me", "Stacey's Mom" and a few other questionable tunes word for word.

Jings

Another strange hit was Boney M.

Just as an aside, I got into big trouble when my wife found out that my youngest, she was about 6 at the time, knew "She Fucken hates me", "Stacey's Mom" and a few other questionable tunes word for word.
Oops. Did you have to remove those from your collection?

Tribs

If I'm a grandma then you must be what, 12?
Isn't there an age restriction on this forum?
Not that I have anything against kids; I just think they should play with each other and stay away from adults as much as possible.
You don't have to be old to realize that there's absolutely zero good mainstream music today.
But, it does take a certain amount of music integrity to be able to appreciate music that isn't quite your taste, but is of a high standard nonetheless.
But kids generally don't understand that.

😉
I actually think there is a lot of good music out today.
This is one of my current fav albums.

Start with Terminal

Nicholas

I spent yesterday afternoon with my family. One of the topics that came up over lunch [I had a tuna roll.] was planning your day. My brother said that he does, but I don't. [I do the same some thing at work every day, and don't need to allow for meetings.] Do you plan your day?

satanboy

Having a great day so far. Feel more alert than I do when I am working from Beatty House. I haven't been able to find the thread for this, so 7/10. :)