The Chat Room

Johnatan56

Going to increase your line speed a bit?
Will have no real effect, there is more than enough international capacity to Portugal (WACS is the direct competitor for that) and you'd not really use that route for anything, pretty much everything you do that's Europe will be better served going CT -> UK -> Europe (be it Frankfurt, or Netherlands for most). You'd maybe see a ms or two lower latency in Spain/Portugal, but after upgrades to WACS, it will be minimal at best, and pricing won't really be different.

Namibia will benefit as competition to WACS, and alternative in case line gets damaged, but in terms of capacity, it doesn't matter.

biometrics

@Sinbad, saw this comment in a reddit thread, is this true?

"Here in the UK, mortgage periods are 2-5 years normally, and people remortgage after this period is up."

satanboy

The average term of a home loan taken out in June has hit a record 30 years, Bloomberg has reported based on data compiled by UK Finance. When the trade body first recorded this data in 2005, the average mortgage term was 25.5 years.

Sinbad

@Sinbad, saw this comment in a reddit thread, is this true?

"Here in the UK, mortgage periods are 2-5 years normally, and people remortgage after this period is up."
That sounds like fixed rate mortgages (for example I have a 5 year fixed rate, after 5 years it switches to variable, and there's an exit penalty if I switch before 5 years is up), you remortgage onto a new fixed rate when your fix is up if you can get a better deal than the current variable rate or you have a view that variable rates are going to increase. My mortgage length is 23 years.

Nicholas

Will have no real effect, there is more than enough international capacity to Portugal (WACS is the direct competitor for that) and you'd not really use that route for anything, pretty much everything you do that's Europe will be better served going CT -> UK -> Europe (be it Frankfurt, or Netherlands for most). You'd maybe see a ms or two lower latency in Spain/Portugal, but after upgrades to WACS, it will be minimal at best, and pricing won't really be different.

Namibia will benefit as competition to WACS, and alternative in case line gets damaged, but in terms of capacity, it doesn't matter.
Do you think that the writer of the article got carried away with talk of cheaper internet connections?

Johnatan56

Do you think that the writer of the article got carried away with talk of cheaper internet connections?
Well, no, they said reduced price, which can be true as more competition, but not really as the point of the cable is for Google to have backhaul in Africa that they control, so they don't really care about the price (at the same time it might make international cheaper as Google could sell at a loss since the primary purpose of the business is advertising, so it's in their advantage that net costs become cheaper).

The international transit piece is somewhere between 10-30% of the total cost of your connection, it doesn't really have that much influence nowadays, most of your cost is last mile and support for that.
How weird....

youtube went down....

but I could still access it on my phone
Brother said the same, just flush your DNS settings (command prompt as admin > `ipconfig /flushdns`)

biometrics

Selling the used Hyundai i10 for a new Toyota Urban Cruiser. Nice little car, more space than the i10 and larger motor. Will have to do until there are EVs to choose from.

Rudolph Hart

I’m buying a house at the moment. Insured value is R2.1 million, and the quote from FNB for insurance (homeowners) is R725 a month. I’ve not owned a house in nearly thirty years, so I’ve no clue if that’s reasonable or a ripoff. I do know the salesman pushed hard enough to make me tell him to back off or I’ll take my business elsewhere, which makes me concerned that they don’t want me to have time to get a competing quote.

Anyone want to offer an opinion on that amount?

satanboy

Will it cost R2m to rebuild? I doubt it unless you paid more for it. Get a quote from a broker.

Last edited:

Baxteen

you dont ask your plumber to look at the wiring in your house.
and you wont ask your car mechanic to have a look at your broken toe.
you want decent insurance speak to someone who does that kind of thing for a living.
you want people to respect you in your professional capacity then you should do the same in all facets of life.