The Cannabis Chronicles

Y2K

Greetings all, this guide is a work in progress and will constantly change as the thread progresses.

Before we continue please note I have no affiliation to any of the companies/brands mentioned, they are listed for pure convenience.

So you want to grow Marijuana huh?

Well there is a several things to consider before you begin.

Physical space

No point in trying to grow when you cannot accommodate the plant throughout its life cycle that's just cruel.☹

Depending on the amount of plants you'd like to grow and their genetics you'll need to keep at least 1 meter spacing as the plant grows in size to maximize solar exposure, this applies to pots and planting directly in the ground.

Another thing to consider if you live in an apartment or don't have much space is growing an autoflower. (More on this later)

Time of year

The calendar dates for the seasons are as follows:

Autumn/Fall – 1 March – 31 May
Winter – 1 June – 31 August
Spring – 1 September – 30 November
Summer – 1 December – 28/29 February

Cold weather and excessive can be devastating to a seedling, so it's best to germinate your plant in the last 2 weeks of winter, towards the end of August in the southern hemisphere.

If the weather doesn't pick up you can always start it on a window sill and place it outside for some sunshine D once it has the second/third set of true leaves.

Cost

While it can cost you nothing to grow Cannabis think of it like a fine wine, it starts with the basics, provide a good medium, environment and some TLC will see you smoking high quality bud.

You don't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money unless you plan on growing indoors with lights and or plan on using a hydroponic setup.

Majority of your money will go to seeds and soil these are two things you do not want to skimp on.

If you're a first time grower I would recommend an autoflower strain as these can be grown year round and doesn't require much attention aside from watering when dry, the size of your plant will be determined by the strain, environment and the size of the container if you're growing in a pot.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I buy seeds?

Seeds can be bought online from reputable stores like:

Where can I buy soil?

The two main brands would be Just Cannabis Craft Soil and Freedom Farm, these require no additional nutrients and has a pH of 6.2 - 6.5 depending on the brand which is perfect for Cannabis Cultivation.

If online is not your thing or if you've already germinated your seeds then take a trip to your local nursery and you should be able to find these brands there, else ask them for a Coco-peat medium or starter soil for tomato plants as their needs are almost identical to Cannabis.

Life Cycle of a Cannabis plant

cannabis-life-cycle-five-phases.jpg
https://www.cannaconnection.com/blog/category/grow

How to germinate your Cannabis seeds?

1606383684468.png
https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/how-to-germinate-cannabis-seeds

3 things are needed for a Cannabis seed to germinate.

Water, heat and air.

Cannabis seeds can germinate in as little as 24 hours

The methods below serve as a guideline for germinating Cannabis seeds that will be grown in soil, although some of these methods can also be used with other growing mediums.

The 3 methods we'll be discussing today are:
  • Germinating in soil method.
  • Germinating in water method.
  • Paper Towel method.

Method 1: Germinating in Soil (Time: 2 - 7 days)

This particular method is as simple as it sounds.

Put your growing medium into a pot/container, fill it up till about 3cm from the lip of the container.

Water the soil till it starts to drip out the bottom then using your index finger/sterilized object about the size of a pencil make a 1cm, the idea is to make the hole deep enough that the seed is covered but no so deep that it doesn't break the surface and stretches for light while underground.

Sprinkle soil on top of the seed but do not pack it down.

Use your spray bottle to moisten the area you just sprinkled dirt over. Not too much otherwise you could end up making the environment too wet which can cause disease/the root to rot before the plant even has a chance to grow.

1606383377182.png

Put the container on a window sill or outside in the shade, I do not recommend leaving it outside overnight as the cold can lead to slower germination rates.

Cannabis Gender Identification

Early identification during the vegetative state.

After a plant completes the seedling phase it starts majority of its growth in what is known as the vegetative phase, male plants tend to be taller and have less foliage overall, female plants tend to be be shorter compared to the male plant and have a more complex node structure as they progress into the vegetative phase.

1631788816337.png
The image above shows the preflowers of both genders.

Regular/natural Cannabis plants has a 50/50% chance of being male or female, they start showing their sex when they reach maturity (usually 3 - 4 weeks into the vegetative state).

We can identify whether a plant is male or female by looking at the preflowers.

Male: Develops pollen sacs on (looks like testicles lol) the intersecting nodes.

Females: Develop hairy white pistils that eventually grow into buds, these are used to trap pollen which turns into seeds.

What still needs to be done.
  • Life Cycle of a Cannabis plant.
  • How to germinate a cannabis seed.
  • Cannabis gender identification (19/09/2021)
  • Diagnosing, pest control and root health.
  • How to measure pH, moisture and additive content ie: NPK (Nitrogen - Potassium - Phosphorus)
  • Trimming, training and topping
  • When to harvest your Cannabis plants
  • Trichome Production
  • Drying and curing
If you have any questions or willing to give your input please pm me so I can add the information to this guide, all help is greatly appreciated, names will be mentioned towards the end of the guide as contributors.

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Guys, Im new here, just registered. Lets discuss cannabis, cultivation etc.

Here's a picture of one of my plants, a sour grape. It looks like giant buds, almost no fan leaves and nice and sticky.

IMG_20200313_183718.jpg

This one will be chopped during this week. Any growers or smokers here?

Admin note: this is the original OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Mowgs

Wedding Gelato was chopped on Monday and started to trim today. This was not really a big plant, 20L pot but we are not half way done and this is the first 100g.

Edit to add: no idea why the picture was rotated after I uploaded it.
f581de8fb4053fdedbb5f9beb0a306ad.jpg

Reactions: Y2K

biometrics

Wedding Gelato was chopped on Monday and started to trim today. This was not really a big plant, 20L pot but we are not half way done and this is the first 100g.

Edit to add: no idea why the picture was rotated after I uploaded it.
f581de8fb4053fdedbb5f9beb0a306ad.jpg
I see you are using the Boveda packs, excellent, doing the same this year. Even got a few small digital humidity meters that will go in as well.

41ljZV4xDsL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The_Mowgs

biometrics

Right, so here is how to use a rosin press to make vape liquid/oil. Unfortunately this plant isn't suitable and the yield is near zero. Next month I'll have the right flower. For the time being, I'll post this anyway.

raw material.jpg

puck maker.jpg

work out the yield.jpg

puck.jpg

puck in filter.jpg

silcone paper.jpg

puck in silicone paper.jpg

rosin press.jpg

pressing.jpg

Attachments

• work out the yield.jpg
    work out the yield.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2

biometrics

Why is it not suitable?
Ag it's that small confused plant that started flowering last year already, it doesn't have oils to press it seems. It has trichomes so it should be smokable. I might make bubble hash from it and then press it. I bought a set of bubble bags. I'd prefer not to smoke anymore.

Bought this:

1584995257632.png

And this:

1584995276977.png

For the latter I happen to have bought a camping washing machine during the water crisis and it's perfect for making bubble hash. Funny how that worked out. :D

Last edited:

biometrics

Looking good. I also have that sour grape hanging, will jar it on friday.
It's fine to smoke, pity it doesn't press.

My other 4.25 plants (one has partially died) are looking great, the trichomes are going crazy, 1 month to go I think.