The Alt-Right Playbook

SlinkyMike

Topical given the recent shootings in the USA and the subsequent reactions from the right IMO but please move if it isn't the right forum.

I had a kind of internal Bingo! game going in my head whilst watching these, I thought others may find it interesting too.

EADC

I see the narrative now is they are leftist?

Even with the overwhelming evidence.

Moosedrool

Not a racist, homophobe, transphobe, xenophobe, misogynist or particularly reactionary and definitely not anti intellectual but labelled as alt-right because I disagree with SJW's, criticise feminist frequency, respect law enforcement and purely because of the blanket label consider neo "progressives" as being absolutely crazy.

Imagine this is you then you see a video like this literally framing all of this as alt-right and trying to place you in the same boat as white supremacists. It's like watching a flat earther video about sun rays.

EADC

Not a racist, homophobe, transphobe, xenophobe, misogynist or particularly reactionary and definitely not anti intellectual but labelled as alt-right because I disagree with SJW's, criticise feminist frequency, respect law enforcement and purely because of the blanket label consider neo "progressives" as being absolutely crazy.

Imagine this is you then you see a video like this literally framing all of this as alt-right and trying to place you in the same boat as white supremacists. It's like watching a flat earther video about sun rays.

But you are just playing the same game but from a different end?

EADC

Are you arguing or just saying your opinion?

But what end?

That's irrelevant, the gist of your post is you are happy to provide labels but then it comes around to you then its an issue?

You cant have it both ways and then cry foul.

Moosedrool

That's irrelevant, the gist of your post is you are happy to provide labels but then it comes around to you then its an issue?

You cant have it both ways and then cry foul.

I don't understand.

The only label I have is actual crazy people labelling people alt right for criticising their opinions. I'm not painting everyone with the same brush. These aren't liberals or left wingers. Notice how I always use neo "progressive" crazies.

So please clarify where I'm crying wolf?

SlinkyMike

As @EADC is pointing out, surely you see the irony here?

Look I don't have anything against you personally but if the shoe fits... Or maybe in your case it's more a 'lie down with dogs, get up with fleas' situation which sucks if at its core your ideology isn't bigoted as you are stating above.

There is definitely collateral damage in the culture war and using labels like "SJW" for instance definitely paints the picture of someone who fully subscribes to the alt-right rhetoric. You must understand this, surely?

Let me ask you this: take away the rantings of lunatics like Alex Jones and Fox News, also take away all the lunatic fringe edge cases you see on accounts like LibsofTikTok, just using your own rationale - what is so reprehensible about an idea like social justice? Surely any rational person would want a society in which everyone's rights are granted and no one is oppressed or degraded?

Now, if you agree that that is a good and righteous outcome but you feel that there are flaws in the ways in which such an outcome is being fought for then surely the rational stance is to try and rectify those flaws while still siding with those fighting for the good and righteous outcome, while the totally irrational stance is to oppose the entirety of everyone seeking that good and righteous outcome?

Rereading the the first part I quoted above, what is the difference between actually being a racist, homophobe, transphobe, xenophobe, misogynist reactionary and spreading hate and propaganda against those fighting for the rights of homosexuals, transexuals, immigrants and women? Functionally there isn't a difference. The good and righteous outcome is not what you stand for. The rest is you just trying to distance yourself from something as repugnant as white supremacy, that has zero impact on anything apart from you.

I'm sure you have a specific image of me from certain echo chambers we both frequent that will not be mentioned but you would probably be surprised to learn that I do not consider myself "woke", in fact I share many of the qualms about that movement that you probably do. Being GenX I grew up in the counter culture, believe in freedom of speech and resent being browbeaten by woke millennials just as much as any sane person but morally I stand for the good and righteous outcome.

Do you?

SlinkyMike

I don't understand.

The only label I have is actual crazy people labelling people alt right for criticising their opinions. I'm not painting everyone with the same brush. These aren't liberals or left wingers. Notice how I always use neo "progressive" crazies.

So please clarify where I'm crying wolf?
"SJW" <----------s-p-e-c-t-r-u-m----------> "Nazi" ...you are playing the same game from the opposite end.

By and large it really does sound like you have downed the alt-right Kool-Aid my friend. Maybe take a step back and evaluate whether you are aligning with those you actually share a moral platform with or if you are maybe just falling victim to outrage culture. Incidentally: I would not hold that against you, it is fucking incessant, especially online.