Studying Agriculture/Farming

BloodrayneZA

Oh add rust to the list of plant diseases.

powdered lime is very essential if you want good fruit and proper fertilisation feeding too

R

[)roi(]

^And that is why I'm looking for a structured course. Not "it's on youtube".
It's a big umbrella; as I said faming including on a small holding requires a lot of multi-faceted skills e.g. the only service I receive from the government is electricity; which means you are responsible for septic, trash, water, etc. There will not be a single course that will cover all of those skills, and then you haven't even broached the agricultural part. It is not practical or cost effective to delegate all of that to external providers -- who are unreliable when it comes to providing services to farms. I have been let down in the beginning more often than not by an electrician or plumber that promised to do a tranche of work. Acquiring these skills was not really an option.

biometrics

It's a big umbrella; as I said faming including on a small holding requires a lot of multi-faceted skills e.g. the only service I receive from the government is electricity; which means you are responsible for septic, trash, water, etc. There will not be a single course that will cover all of those skills, and then you haven't even broached the agricultural part. It is not practical or cost effective to delegate all of that to external providers -- who are unreliable when it comes to providing services to farms. I have been let down in the beginning more often than not by an electrician or plumber that promised to do a tranche of work. Acquiring these skills was not really an option.
Fair enough. To be more specific, I'm interested in the biology and chemistry.

Düber

For example; I previously used German brand pressure pumps which were a pain in the butt (a design issue IMO); switched it out for Chinese made pumps and haven't had any problems for close om 10 years.
Yes sometimes it defies logic, I "spoilt" myself whith a Stihl brushcutter a few years back. Biggest piece of shit ever and it was not cheap the thing kept on breaking down I had it for about a year, best day ever when I dumped it and bought another cheap Chinese one about six years ago. Still going strong and I cut anything that's in front of me!

^And that is why I'm looking for a structured course. Not "it's on youtube".
Most agriculture courses are very specific and focused. The university of life gives the best results. :cool:
There is a free "magazine" that we get out here that is aimed at smallholders, usually has some interesting stuff.

R

[)roi(]

Fair enough. To be more specific, I'm interested in the biology and chemistry.
If this is related to your desire to grow vegetables; then the best resources I've found were a combination of books, online sites including resources like youtube with its many channels covering agriculture and gardening topics. Whilst you could strictly study biology and chemistry; it won't provide you with the day to day know how when it comes to farming.

I would suggest starting with your green house and building up from there; e.g. research planting a vegetable including ideal conditions, pests, watering, etc.

R

[)roi(]

The university of life gives the best results. :cool:
Exactly there's a reason why farming is a family affair; a lot of the know how is passed from parent to child as they grow up.
Not growing up with that life; will mean that you have to acquire a lot of what would be considered general knowledge for that child.

biometrics

Exactly there's a reason why farming is a family affair; a lot of the know how is passed from parent to child as they grow up.
Not growing up with that life; will mean that you have to acquire a lot of what would be considered general knowledge for that child.
Which is what I'm looking for in a short course...

R

[)roi(]

Which is what I'm looking for in a short course...
I'm don't think it exists... as I said the majority of what I gleaned is from books on specific areas; online sources,...
...and for example when it comes to specific areas like insecticides, fungicides, ... the local Obaro outlets have very well informed staff that can help with many farming topics, including basic veterinary, agricultural plumbing, etc.

What about looking at skillshare or similar online learning sites?

Last edited by a moderator:

TabacNW

My 2c. My uncle had a sugarcane farm which we visted quite often. He didn't have any formal farming degree/education.
After school i worked on a chicken farm for a while where the farmer used to be a Fitter by trade. No farming education.
Later in my life i was a foreman for a guy (He owned a cement slab company) on his farm. Had sheep, comercial cattle and then a nice Brahman herd. Also Nooitgedacht boerperde. I'm a qualified fitter. The owner send me on a AI course for the brahman herd.
I've met one guy so far who has a degree in agriculture. It's learning day by day doing things. Speaking to people who's got the T-shirt.
That's why i said google or You Tube. The agriculture field is moerse big.

Rudolph Hart

Most formal agricultural courses will focus on the agronomic crops - maize, sunflower, soya and will not spend enough time on vegetable farming for your purposes.

As said above most farmers learn this stuff from their parents, and often the best way to learn is to find someone local who doesn’t mind you coming around and helping out, you’ll learn more about the specific local conditions and what works there than from any formal course. Many farmers are happy to talk about what they do and they’re a tight knit community, so if you’re one of them, and show that you’re there to work, they’ll help you out.

Rudolph Hart

I know this is a bit off topic, but seeing this post of Droid’s with the long list of stuff he’s done, the ‘Active Member’ label seems 100% accurate. 😀67565168-AEEB-456D-91D4-30924AAD0744.jpeg

R

[)roi(]

Make a list of what you want to grow/do. The start recearhcing each of them.

I Still wanna go into Hydrophonics
My brother has been farming with hydroponics for a long time with huge successes. I decided instead to go with greenhouse tunnels, drip feeding, lighting (for extended growing hours) and CO2 supplementation (It's what all the cool cannabis growers do) which also yields a bumper crop.

Düber

I was thinking about this when I was reminded about the courses offered by the ARC (Agricultural Research Council) angled at emerging farmers. I am not sure if they are still running during covid but they offer short courses at Irene and Roodeplaat on a variety of topics.
Perhaps they do them in the Cape too?

biometrics

I was thinking about this when I was reminded about the courses offered by the ARC (Agricultural Research Council) angled at emerging farmers. I am not sure if they are still running during covid but they offer short courses at Irene and Roodeplaat on a variety of topics.
Perhaps they do them in the Cape too?
This is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but online.