SpaceX

R

[)roi(]

A thread on SpaceX:
  • Launches
  • Starship build
  • etc.
Recently SpaceX's SN5 successfully completed its 150m hop with an offset engine. Interesting to watch effectively a stainless steel "grain silo" fly and land.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

[)roi(]

In the take off / landing videos off SN5 looks quite tiny; especially when the "tiny" landing legs fold out.
Here's a bit of perspective on just how big this "grain silo" is.

Willy Strong

SpaceX is targeting Tuesday, August 18 at 10:31 a.m. EDT for launch of its eleventh Starlink mission, which will include 58 Starlink satellites and three of Planet’s SkySats. Falcon 9 will lift off from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

biometrics

SpaceX is targeting Tuesday, August 18 at 10:31 a.m. EDT for launch of its eleventh Starlink mission, which will include 58 Starlink satellites and three of Planet’s SkySats. Falcon 9 will lift off from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.
Starlink satellites to be released shortly.

R

[)roi(]

I love how SpaceX has made the landing on rockets look so normal. Really hope they succeed with starship; will be great to see a stainless steel rocket land -- reminiscent of the old Scifi movies.

Textile Guy

What a beautiful parachute fabric, well designed low pack volume and awesome airflow control, high tear modulus .... and its a single use canopy.

1597938696024.png

AntiThesis

I'm so torn about Starlink. I want the coverage it's likely to provide and the hope that it will actually connect everyone it says it will (the world needs internet) but also the risk to visibility looks like it's going to be huge for astronomy. Which one wins?

R

[)roi(]

I'm so torn about Starlink. I want the coverage it's likely to provide and the hope that it will actually connect everyone it says it will (the world needs internet) but also the risk to visibility looks like it's going to be huge for astronomy. Which one wins?
SpaceX have been modifying their satellites to make them less visible i.e. less of an impact.

As for astronomy; what could be better than a permanent base on the moon -- imagine what an astronomer living on the moon could see with a telescope, etc. -- plus with connectivity; who's to say people on earth couldn't control remote telescopes on the moon.

Düber

:) I showed the SN6 clip to my 9yo earlier and she wanted to know why Spacex wants to send buildings into space...

R

[)roi(]

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Starship's purpose?
In summary:
  • Replacement of the entire Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets -- this is their primary objective.
  • Abilities similar to space shuttle, except much more capacity and to take over Dragon Crew.
  • They've also talked about earth travel e.g. 1 hour commute from US to Australia with a starship that is rapidly reusable like jetliners and multiple trips per day.
  • Ability to refuel in space
  • Vehicle to travel to the moon to set up a base on the moon
  • Finally as part of fleet of over a thousands starships to go to Mars and establish a permanent colony there.