"Sorry we do not accept cash."

SlinkyMike

So I had a bit of a senior moment last night when I was told at an ice-cream shop that they do not accept cash. The girl behind the counter motioned toward a sign to this effect with a Snapscan QR code alongside it.

I have no issue with this in principle. My youngest had to foot the bill because I'd left my phone and wallet behind and only had my money clip on me, so score! But is this widespread at this point? Will it be? Anyone else encountered it?

The girl running the shop explained that it is safer for them not to handle cash which I can totally understand, but ya, just interested if anyone else has come across this?

Spizz

So I had a bit of a senior moment last night when I was told at an ice-cream shop that they do not accept cash. The girl behind the counter motioned toward a sign to this effect with a Snapscan QR code alongside it.

I have no issue with this in principle. My youngest had to foot the bill because I'd left my phone and wallet behind and only had my money clip on me, so score! But is this widespread at this point? Will it be? Anyone else encountered it?

The girl running the shop explained that it is safer for them not to handle cash which I can totally understand, but ya, just interested if anyone else has come across this?

Certainly many places encourage you to use a card or QR code, but this is the first I've heard of not accepting cash at all.

biometrics

Cash is legal tender, I don't see how they can refuse it. That said, cash is disgusting, I haven't used it for I guess ten years, except last year when the bootlegger wanted cash.

SlinkyMike

Cash is legal tender, I don't see how they can refuse it.
Yea, this flashed through my mind but was almost instantly replaced with: "Don't be a tit." :ROFLMAO:

The young girl running the counter would basically be guarding a till full of cash all night. I get it.

Dave

Cash is legal tender, I don't see how they can refuse it.

From what I remember there is a nuance to it, legal tender has be accepted by a creditor in discharge of a debt, if a shop refuses to sell something to you there is no debt or creditor.

The old definition was a creditor could not refuse legal tender to discharge a court ordered judgement of debt.

RedViking

I've had "cash only". But never "no cash". That would be a first, specially in sunny Africa where cash is king.

LD50

Never heard of it.
Traffic light beggars will have a tough time once cashless societies becomes the norm.

Paul Hjul

Cash is legal tender, I don't see how they can refuse it. That said, cash is disgusting, I haven't used it for I guess ten years, except last year when the bootlegger wanted cash.
Its a bit more complicated. Legal tender relates to the obligation to accept currency in settlement of a debt due and owing. So if you owe a store after taking goods then they can't refuse you settling your account by delivery of legal tender but the store can decline to finalise an agreement of sale by requiring payment by a specific means.

To be honest I don't think the question of whether a restaurant can refuse to allow patrons to settle a bill by means of legal tender has been fully ventilated in our law but I am inclined to the view that if a restaurant were to require payment by specific means and not establish as much prior to completing the order that the restaurant would be obliged to afford the patron a means to settle in due course and would not be able to allege bilking until the patron has had an opportunity to settle. So for example if you have a coffee shop that only accepts Apple Pay and the delivery of whatever hipster bobbles are in vogue at the time as currency. If they let you order without being clear what payment means they accept once you've ordered they cannot go to the cops if you can't pay them by Apple Pay.

Paul Hjul

Yep that
From what I remember there is a nuance to it, legal tender has be accepted by a creditor in discharge of a debt, if a shop refuses to sell something to you there is no debt or creditor.

The old definition was a creditor could not refuse legal tender to discharge a court ordered judgement of debt.
Yep that's about it, restaurants and inns (broad definition) have some additional snicks to.

The current major area of requirement is that you have to accept legal tender when you make your claim so if you've sent out a letter of demand or issued a summons and the guy comes to you with 5c coins in a wheelbarrow..

Johnatan56

I know only one place that does it, hipster coffee place.
But everyone besides restaurants has a prefer card sign nowadays here. Really strange, since I thought I'd be heading back to cash for everything, that's how it used to be not even 5 years ago.

Aang

It was common at the beginning of the covid pandemic when people were super paranoid and didn't want to touch anything that wasn't sanitized but it's more unusual now that we know more about how the virus is spread

Düber

Yep that
Yep that's about it, restaurants and inns (broad definition) have some additional snicks to.

The current major area of requirement is that you have to accept legal tender when you make your claim so if you've sent out a letter of demand or issued a summons and the guy comes to you with 5c coins in a wheelbarrow..

I tried that with the etolls and got chased away from the kiosk, so then I thought they might appreciate a direct deposit of the R2.75 owing at the FNB in branch teller, got chased away there too...

SauRoN

Can’t wait for the day where this is the norm.

So many problems go away when money becomes digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

biometrics

Can’t wait for the day where this is the norm.

So many problems go away when money becomes digital.

It's been digital for me for more than a decade.

SauRoN

Same.

But if the world at large follows the same logic just think how much of the crime problems associated with cash magically disappear.

SlinkyMike

Same.

But if the world at large follows the same logic just think how much of the crime problems associated with cash magically disappear.

But why not both?

I have used Sapscan and now Apple Pay with high frequency and I'm all for it but I still keep a money clip with a few bills in my left front. I guess that's just old skool now. :p

Tribs

We have that in many places in and around Pretoria. Theft and the danger of theft is not worth it. Irene dairy is one of those places - as are several restaurants. It is safer for the staff and the customers in the long run.

biometrics

But why not both?

I have used Sapscan and now Apple Pay with high frequency and I'm all for it but I still keep a money clip with a few bills in my left front. I guess that's just old skool now. :p
I always have some cash. But the R200 note in there must have been there for a year now.

SauRoN

But why not both?

Because then all the problems cash brings still remains.

ATM’s needing refilling and insurance and security and getting bombed.

Cash in Transit heists.

Money laundering.

General illegal activities as a whole etc.

It also makes everything more expensive just through existing.