Solar, inverter, battery thread

Tinuva

Same system as yours minus the solar. Solar can be added at any point. Can also stack the inverters and batteries if you want to increase capacity or load. This is the hybrid system vs the online system. More expensive, but ultimately better.

@Tinuva @Sinbad What do you think? Is the labour/setup and electrical not excessive or is that fair? Inverter seems about right, the battery could get for R5k less but some brands are at that price.

View attachment 11984
Seems about right. There is a lot more included in this install than what you read here.
Like there has to be a cutover switch to have inverter inline or bypassed. If there a fault on the inverter, you can just switch to eskom instead of having the whole house offline indefinitely.
Also, those cables, depending on how far the inverter is from the db, can become expensive real quick. Go look how much 20m of the cable in a thicker size is at your local builders.

Just for the inverter and battery setup and db rewiring, my installer spent a whole day from 8am to almost 6pm, and it was 2 of them and me crawling through the roof. It takes time. If that guy is asking R1000/hour, and he will be there 12 hours, then looks about right. It is not cheap, but not expensive either.

bigAl-sa

No it is wired to the db. But I'm pretty sure I would know if the house has three phase. It's not normal to have that surely?
A geyser and a stove are normally 3-phase. That's why they are separated on your DB
Mine? It's a little slimline Wirlpool, seriously doubt it.
I just spoke to BiL about this, and you prolly don't have to worry. In modern houses, you only have a single phase coming in (I'm old you see). The 3 phases from the municipality are shared between 3 houses. So you are safe :D

biometrics

Seems about right. There is a lot more included in this install than what you read here.
Like there has to be a cutover switch to have inverter inline or bypassed. If there a fault on the inverter, you can just switch to eskom instead of having the whole house offline indefinitely.
Also, those cables, depending on how far the inverter is from the db, can become expensive real quick. Go look how much 20m of the cable in a thicker size is at your local builders.

Just for the inverter and battery setup and db rewiring, my installer spent a whole day from 8am to almost 6pm, and it was 2 of them and me crawling through the roof. It takes time. If that guy is asking R1000/hour, and he will be there 12 hours, then looks about right. It is not cheap, but not expensive either.
Thanks for the explanations, that makes more sense now.

biometrics

Is that from the guy I sent you my quote from?

TBF, knowing what I know now and how this has changed my life, I'd pay that just to get through loadshedding and sod the PV for now.
The PV makes your battery last longer. But I'll skip it for now.

He was happy with the western flat roof over my enclosed stoep section of the house and said he can angle it.

Tinuva

Thanks for the explanations, that makes more sense now.
Anytime.
My advice and recommendation, rather focus on having the correct installer, someone that will not screw you over and do a neat job. An honest installer. Even if it seems slightly expensive. If you get the wrong guy that looked cheap, you can end up in a lot of pain. Remember you need to get a new CoC done after this, and if it is not done right, you will pay double to get someone else to fix it, thats even if they want to fix someone elses mess.

So, go get reviews on the installer and if you can, references to installs he has done. Focus on the quality of work he will do, instead of the price.

We have this saying in Afrikaans: Goedkoop koop, is DUUR koop.

biometrics

Anytime.
My advice and recommendation, rather focus on having the correct installer, someone that will not screw you over and do a neat job. An honest installer. Even if it seems slightly expensive. If you get the wrong guy that looked cheap, you can end up in a lot of pain. Remember you need to get a new CoC done after this, and if it is not done right, you will pay double to get someone else to fix it, thats even if they want to fix someone elses mess.

So, go get reviews on the installer and if you can, references to installs he has done. Focus on the quality of work he will do, instead of the price.

We have this saying in Afrikaans: Goedkoop koop, is DUUR koop.
This is the company that did @Spizz and he seems very happy.

biometrics

Well then, accept the quote! (y)
Waiting to pick up a bit of freelance after hours app dev work, my excess is going into the bond at the moment, want to be debt free by end 2022. As soon as I pick up one I'm doing it. Shouldn't take too long. :)

Also, @Spizz got a bit of a discount so I want the same... ;)

biometrics

Based on recommendations this is what I'm likely to get:

Battery: Hubble Am2
Inverter: SunSynk 5kW (incl WiFi dongle)

Also seriously considering PV as I pay R700 a month for electricity and that the set to rise. That is R8,400 a year currently. Quite a chunk of change.

Johnatan56

Based on recommendations this is what I'm likely to get:

Battery: Hubble Am2
Inverter: SunSynk 5kW (incl WiFi dongle)

Also seriously considering PV as I pay R700 a month for electricity and that the set to rise. That is R8,400 a year currently. Quite a chunk of change.
Aren't you one person? What are the rates at Hermanus like?

RonSwanson

Quote from Powerforum for recommended battery and inverter by speedster on mybb:

View attachment 12123
The Powerforumstore has great prices, and Steve is very knowledgeable. If I were to do my own Sunsynk install over, I'd also choose Hubble over Pylontech, it's a pity that they weren't available at the time.

So when is the install scheduled? Pics?.

Last edited:

biometrics

The Powerforumstore has great prices, and Steve is very knowledgeable. If I were to do my own Sunsynk install over, I'd also choose Hubble over Pylontech, it's a pity that they weren't available at the time.

So when is the installed scheduled? Pics?.
I have a small 15 year old system so I'm not powerless during LS. So when we're being shed I seriously consider it but before I order it the power is back and then I think I should wait see. Seesaw seesaw...