Social media/Forums vs irl

Y2K

Does social media and forums create a false sense of connection for you guys as it does for me? Granted I don't use social media aside from a few community forums.

But given the current situation I see how valuable these platforms are, if I had to describe it I'd say they're generic, faking intimacy for real human connections.

What's a little fucked up is that I love my own space, I'm a very private person when it comes to personal things but I don't like large groups of people especially if I don't know them. Maybe I prefer the one on one, I don't know but it's the little things that mean something to me.

I don't know what's real anymore.

OCP

Yes, I think so.

Nothing compares to real life relationships and connections.

Sure - one can strike up a friendship/kinship with other online persona but this online medium only exposes a small portion of what makes up a person.

Tribs

I have met many online "friends". Some have become closer than others. But these things last as long as the thing that brought you together does. But enjoy the connections you gain. My first venture onto the internet socially was on a forum for PCFormat magazine. I met some really great people and we are still in touch more than 20 years later. I have some gaming friends I share memes with on WhatsApp. Telegram is used for my cell gaming groups - also made a ton of "friends" there.

• Love
Reactions: Y2K

Y2K

I have met many online "friends". Some have become closer than others. But these things last as long as the thing that brought you together does. But enjoy the connections you gain. My first venture onto the internet socially was on a forum for PCFormat magazine. I met some really great people and we are still in touch more than 20 years later. I have some gaming friends I share memes with on WhatsApp. Telegram is used for my cell gaming groups - also made a ton of "friends" there.
Wow that's great.

Textile Guy

I dunno, I think online chat buddies are an electronic form of pen pals.
Its quite healthy.

I dont think the connection is necessarily false - from the perspective of two way communication only.
We all take time out to chat to each other, and at times, we miss a members posts or interaction. (Even the annoying ones :))
The picture we have of the name on the screen may not be accurate, and sometimes, that picture that we have built is part of the magic and the appeal of the other person. They are what we need them to be and vice versa.

Sometimes, its best being connected over a distance, when say, you are maybe a touch introverted?

What is interesting though, is the difference between this forum and mybb. The latter has a moderator.
That mod adds a bias to your virtual persona.

Urist

Had some really good friends on zanet mirc back in the day, good times trolling gaspode and getting k-lined with my script kiddie buddies. no online friends since then.This is just a place to log all my stupid thoughts.

BloodrayneZA

Does social media and forums create a false sense of connection for you guys as it does for me? Granted I don't use social media aside from a few community forums.

But given the current situation I see how valuable these platforms are, if I had to describe it I'd say they're generic, faking intimacy for real human connections.

What's a little fucked up is that I love my own space, I'm a very private person when it comes to personal things but I don't like large groups of people especially if I don't know them. Maybe I prefer the one on one, I don't know but it's the little things that mean something to me.

I don't know what's real anymore.
Nope it's not a great substitute at all. Speaking from experience - I love my space too. I go to work with people that rub me up the wrong way and deal with a lot of rudeness on top of that so in order for me to get that out of my system, I need my space and I do have hobbies so that helps me.

Ditto on the one-to-one, I went out to meet up with a work lady friend and it was actually nice because we went for a short walk around the block and walked back feeling better. We also talked about getting back to work and stuff. I don't do well in small groups bec of my hearing impairment so I've been pretty much isolated unless it's a small gathering for deaf people, then I'm OK.

Im a full blown introvert through and through. Don't know what happened but I used to be a social extrovert and party animal, somewhere on the line something changed. May have something to do with an NDE

Tribs

Had some really good friends on zanet mirc back in the day, good times trolling gaspode and getting k-lined with my script kiddie buddies. no online friends since then.This is just a place to log all my stupid thoughts.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Thoughts need to get out.
But if you hang around long enough - you kinda cannot help but get to like some of the people who put their thoughts out too. I think the word "Friend" has changed. You don't have to know everything about people to be friends - you just need to connect in some way. I have a friend who is one of those really dark, silent types. But he has shown me some of the best music I have ever heard. We don't share personal stuff - just music and a few death matches a night. I consider him a friend.

I have another that runs a nursery up north. We share memes. We are in the same clan for CSGO and I have just introduced him to another player who is totally awesome - and I really hope they hit it off. Seems he really likes her - and I think the feeling is mutual. But I don't know much about either of them - though we are "friends".

Y2K

Intimacy is scary for a lot of people. Some are afraid that if people get to know who they really are - no one will like them. So they fake connections. Fake interests. Fake experiences. It is sad - but that is how some people are.
Hmmmm

WarrenEllison

I know what you are talking about, and I agree with you. Unfortunately, social media is too much nowadays, especially when we were all forced to stay connected just online. But it's not such a big deal for me. I took advantage of social platforms to grow my business online. For example, I sell a kit to whiten teeth. In the beginning, it was pretty hard to grow an audience, but soon I understood how to buy instagram followers, and it simplified my job. By already having the number of people and future clients, you can quickly adapt your marketing strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y2K