Shortcut of the day

Johnatan56

Lara

win+F1.

Win+1-0 will open the app on your taskbar.

ctrl+w.

cltr+q should quit quite a few apps as a shortcut if cross platform (e.g. Telegram desktop alt+f4 will trigger minimize to system tray, ctrl+q will actually close it completely).
Are you running the latest version of Windows 10 and Edge?
It might be possible that other browsers interfere with the shortcut. :)

Johnatan56

Are you running the latest version of Windows 10 and Edge?
It might be possible that other browsers interfere with the shortcut. :)
No, you will need the windows key, if not you probably are hitting the function key for web browser instead.
There are a lot of apps that would want to use the F1-F12 keys, no way windows would be dumb enough to only make it the F1 key (not trying to insult, just seems a very bad move they do do it, and yes, I am on the latest W10 version that is not a dev/insider preview).

Johnatan56

ctrl+shift click an app to open as admin, you can also select it via e.g. start menu search and hit ctrl+shift+enter.

biometrics

To get to the command line from Explorer with the current folder selected, click at the end of the address bar (in the blank area) so that the full directory path is displayed and selected and type "cmd" (which overwrites it) and press enter. A command line window will open with that directory current.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Windows + x then hit a to open powershell as admin (used to be cmd), use i for non-admin.

biometrics

Has anyone mentioned this?

Ctrl-Shift-V

Paste with formatting removed.

If you've ever been annoyed when pasting stuff to a forum and it retains it's formatting, this sorts it out. Wish I knew this years ago!

greg0205

I'm on a Mac, and all the MS in this thread makes me sad... Never mind, here are a few of my favourite Mac shortcuts to cheer the thread up.

cmd+Q quits the app.

cmd+M minimises whichever app is active.

option+cmd+M minimises all apps.

cmd+shift+3 taks a screenshot of the whole screen.

cmd+shift+4 allows you to select the portion of the screen you'd like to screenshot.

cmd+shift+4+spacebar screenshots the active app only, without altering its dimensions.

biometrics

This works on Android and iOS.

While typing, hold the spacebar, after a second the cursor does a “blink” and now you can drag left and right on the spacebar to move the edit cursor.

Damn, wish I knew this years ago!

Edit: on iOS the whole keyboard greys out and you can drag up and down as well.

Johnatan56

This works on Android and iOS.

While typing, hold the spacebar, after a second the cursor does a “blink” and now you can drag left and right on the spacebar to move the edit cursor.

Damn, wish I knew this years ago!

Edit: on iOS the whole keyboard greys out and you can drag up and down as well.
Note: Swiftkey has this as well since early 2020 (the full keyboard use as swiping around, just space bar longer) but won't work if you've set language swap via swiping on the space bar, LG/Samsung's versions have only been space bar for at least 5 years.